These darling gnome cupcakes are the perfect treat for a family movie extravaganza!
We love seeing a good family movie in theaters — especially a good flick that shares a positive message. We also love cupcakes.
This cute idea, brought to you in partnership with Paramount Pictures, combines both those things!
I’m excited about the upcoming release of Sherlock Gnomes. Have you heard about it yet? It’s coming to theaters on March 23!
We loved the first movie, Gnomeo and Juliet — it was packed with lots of giggles and a great story line. I’ve looked forward to Sherlock Gnomes ever since I heard it was in the works.
This time, Gnomeo and Juliet are on a mission to bring every gnome home. After several garden gnomes disappear in London, they enlist the help of legendary Sherlock Gnomes to help them solve the case of their missing loved ones.
With a star studded cast including Emily Blunt, Johnny Depp, James McAvoy, Maggie Smith and many more, how could you go wrong? (You can’t, it’s that simple!)
Big life lessons that I think are so important for little guys to learn.
All big lessons are better learned while also enjoying a cupcake, at least in my experience. 😉
The Best Gnome Cupcakes
I seriously can’t get over how cute these gnome cupcakes turned out! I giggle every time I look at them. Not only are they great for a fun, family treat, they would be perfect for a kid’s birthday party food table.
I’m going to share with you how easy they are to create. I’m sure you can figure out on your own how good they are to eat! 😉
Ingredients for Gnome Cupcakes
They might look like a lot of work, but these cupcakes are really easy — I promise!
I bet you’ll have most the ingredients in your cupboard already. My boys and I created these after school one afternoon. Enlisting little helpers is a great to do a project and spend quality time together.
I used a box mix to make jumbo cupcakes but you could also make your batter from scratch. You’ll also need butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, food coloring, melting candies, sugar ice cream cones, candy eyes and piping bags with #2 tips. And don’t forget the parchment paper!
My little guys love to help me mix the batter, as well as the food coloring. Put their muscles to work or enlist their help to flip the switch on your mixer.
How to Make Gnome Cupcakes
I started by melting the candies in 30 second increments. I dipped the sugar ice cream cones in red melting candies so that they were completely, evenly coated and then dried them on parchment paper.
Next up, I made frosting by whipping butter and powdered sugar on high for one minute. I added ivory food coloring until it reached my desired hue.
Once it’s the right shade, transfer it to a piping bag and snip off the end.
Swirl the frosting onto your cooled, prepared cupcakes.
In two separate small bowls, melt the chocolate and white melting discs. Pour them into piping bags, both fitted with a #2 tip.
You’ll then use the chocolate to pipe shapes for mouths, eye brows and glasses onto the parchment paper. Then, using the white melting candy, pipe little beards.
Once these are totally dry, you’ll assemble your gnomes. This is also another excellent place to get your helpers involved. Seeing their creativity shine through is so much fun! 🙂
Next, you’ll pop their hat on top.
Finally, pipe a little nose on once all the other pieces are in place.
Before serving, you’ll want to chill the cupcakes in the fridge so they firm up a tad before serving.
Other Gnome Cupcake Ideas
You could also experiment with other candy melt colors to customize your gnome cupcakes more.
You could also change up their accessories — give them different shaped glasses or a funky beard!
For more about the movie, check out the trailer below. I know your family will love Sherlock Gnomes when it opens in theaters on March 23rd and these delicious gnome cupcakes. I hope that you’ll enjoy both very soon!
- Favorite cupcakes I used a box mix and made jumbo cupcakes
- 6 sticks of butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- ivory food coloring
- ½ package chocolate melting candies
- ½ package white melting candies
- 2 packages red melting candies
- sugar cones
- candy eyes
- 4 piping bags
- #2 tip
- parchment paper
- Fill a medium size mason jar, or microwave proof bowl with the red melting candies. Melt them in 30 second increments, stirring in between until they have completely melted. Dip the sugar cones and make sure they are evenly coated. Allow to dry completely on parchment paper.
- Make frosting by whipping butter and powdered sugar on high for 1 minute. Add ivory food coloring until you’ve reach desired color.
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag and snip the end off, making an inch opening.
- Swirl the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- In two separate small bowls, melt the chocolate and white melting discs. Pour them into piping bags, both fitted with a #2 tip.
- Using the chocolate, pipe shapes for mouths, eye brows and glasses onto the parchment paper. Then, using the white melting candy, pipe little beards.
- Once the candies have dried and hardened, assemble your gnome.
- Place the hat on top of the frosting, eyes, glasses and mouth.
- Place frosting in another piping bag and snip off the end making a ¼ inch opening. Use this to pipe on a nose.
- Place cupcakes in the fridge to firm up a tad before serving.