Easy OREO® Chocolate Ice Cream Cake hits the sweet spot!
Cold, sweet, and simple. Doesn’t that sound like the best recipe for summer entertaining? It is. And an ice cream cake is guaranteed to make people smile! My friends raved over the OREO® Chocolate Ice Cream Cakes I served them last weekend. Thanks for the satisfaction I Love Ice Cream Cakes, and thanks for sponsoring this post!
Note to self: Eat more ice cream. Ha! That note will never get written because I will never forget to eat ice cream! It’s my favorite food group. Especially in summer. Especially when I’m having company.
I Love Ice Cream Cakes for that reason. Pick up a couple from the grocery store freezer section — I found mine at Walmart — stick ‘em in your own freezer and you’re ready for impromptu guests, a family celebration, or to just make an everyday a little more special.
The only consternation I have with I Love Ice Cream Cakes is deciding which one(s!) I should get. They have many different styles, sizes (from 8-18 servings) and flavors. Between the original Carvel®, Jon Donaire® and OREO®, flavors include vanilla, chocolate, cookie, cookies and cream, s’mores, caramel turtle, and of course, OREO®. There’s even a Hello Kitty Ice Cream Cake.
Such a problem, I know.
The ice cream cakes are ready to serve, as is, or you can add a little decorative personalization.
If you have the time and inclination, my decadent OREO® Chocolate Ice Cream Cake recipe is easy to put together and it is sooo good! A selfish person might be tempted to eat the whole dang thing…but I know better. Sigh.
Another plus of my recipe is you can bake and freeze the chocolate cake rounds when it works in your schedule, then pull out both the chocolate cake and the I Love Ice Cream Cake when you’re ready to serve.
My four-layer wonder starts with a layer of OREO® cake. I add one layer of my chocolate cake and top it with fudge sauce.
The second layer of OREO® cake is next and then I top that with the other chocolate cake round and more fudge sauce.
A slather of frosting and a fudge sauce drizzle tops it all.
It can be eaten immediately or stick it back in the freezer until time to serve. I highly recommend taking #summercakebreak…delicious!
July is officially National Ice Cream month and I think my OREO® cake with I Love Ice Cream Cake is just the thing to kick off the commemoration.
But why wait? 🙂
OREO® Chocolate Ice Cream CakePrint Pin Rate
- Two OREO® Premium Ice Cream Cakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2-12.8 jars of fudge sauce
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups butter
- 1 cup crushed OREO® cookies
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1. Bake cake according to package directions in two 8-inch round cake pans. Let cool completely. Using a serrated knife, slice rounded top off one of the chocolate cakes. Cover both cakes and freeze completely.
- 2. Remove items from freezer.
- 3. On a cake plate lined with an 8-inch cardboard cake round, position first layer of ice cream cake.
- 4. Place the trimmed chocolate cake on top of the ice cream cake. Pour half a bottle of fudge sauce and spread around.
- 5. Place the second ice cream cake on top. Top with the second chocolate cake and return to freezer.
- 6. While the cake is in the freezer, make frosting by whipping together butter, powdered sugar, and OREO® crumbs.
- 7. After 30 minutes, remove cake from freezer. Make sure the cake is standing straight and quickly frost the side of the cake, leaving the top unfrosted. (I use a board scraper to frost cakes.)
- 8. Take remaining jar and a half of fudge sauce and add two tablespoons of milk to thin it out.
- 9. Pour fudge sauce on top of the cake and spread it around until it drizzles down the sides.