You don’t have to be a scientist to go mad over this mad science themed birthday party dessert table! Using amazing printables from Lindsay Pasichnyk as a foundation (available in our shop), we mixed a science lab chalkboard backdrop and mad science inspired dessert concoctions with creative science decorations and props. The result? This party is exploding with creative ideas!
- Concoct your own birthday experiment with ideas from this mad science themed 9th birthday party.
- Go mad at your next party by incorporating some of the fun lab themed décor seen in this mad science birthday party.
If you’ve ever been in a science classroom or lab, you’ll recognize many of the props and decorations used to bring life to our dessert table. We couldn’t imagine a more fitting backdrop than a chalkboard filled with hand scrawled scientific formulas. The party table was covered in a bright, busy geometric print tablecloth, fitting for the madness of this party.
Taking inspiration from the Periodic Table of the Elements and a few creative liberties, a “Happy Birthday” banner was created to coordinate with the mad science theme. It added to the busyness of the backdrop and helped reinforce the mad science birthday party theme.
Using clipboards as serving trays was a fun idea we incorporated. You’d usually find these covered in scientific lab notes, equations and drawings, but we added our own designs and clever labels to display creative sweet treats. Big chocolate brains were a dessert table highlight and were created easily, using a mold.
Pop Rock chocolate chip synthesis from Goodness Bakeshop was “grown” in Petri dishes and offered an unusual choice. Would you try it?
Dr. Honeydew Melon cones were a clever addition and included fondant faces from Edible Details. Don’t you think his bowtie and glasses are so cute?
Test tubes were filled with colorful Nerds candy and stored in a printable-embellished jar.
Bowtie cookies made a delicious compound and another perfect science themed dessert option!
And who could forget the Dr. Vanilla and Dr. Chocolate cupcakes? The scientist cupcake wrappers are a fun option. Paired with the crazy green fondant hair by Edible Details, they were a unique way to dress a cupcake!
Thirsty? The “Mad Doctor’s Formula” is ready to drink! Awesome printable labels add to the crazy, mad vibe! And for your drinking pleasure, paper straws were tagged with biohazard printables.
An easy DIY item we crafted was the nerdy bowtie shirt party favor bags. Guests at Dr. Wesley’s Laboratory of Birthday Fun could fill them with laboratory slime or some crazy dessert concoction to dissect and demolish on the way home!
Are you as mad as we are over this exciting party theme? It’s perfect for the science lover in your home or any boy wanting a thrilling party experience.
Cupcake Toppers, Faces on Cones: Edible Details
Need some great sources for planning a mad science party? Check out these party sources put together by the labcoats at Spaceships and Laser Beams.
- 40 Piece Assorted Color Plastic Test Tube Set with Caps and Rack
- Magnifying Glasses, Assorted colors (Pack of 12) Size 4 1/4″, Plastic
- Plastic Beaker Set – 5 Sizes – 50, 100, 250, 500 and 1000ml
- Intruder Safety Eyewear – Superior Comfort and Fit
- Protection Against Glares – Scratch, Impact, and Ballistic Resistant – Colored Rims
- 02w Mad Scientist birthday Party Supplies – 16 guests – plates, napkins, chocolate bar wrappers
- Wilton 415-3018 Mad Science Cupcake Decorating Combo Pack
- Glass Erlenmeyer Flask Set – 3 Sizes – 50, 150 and 250ml, Karter Scientific 214U2
- Creative Teaching Press 6-Inch Designer Cut-Outs, Science Lab (3875)
- 20 Pack Sterile Plastic Petri Dishes, 100mm Dia x 13mm Deep, with Lid.
- 3B Scientific Science Lab Cookie Cutters
- Mad Scientist Dessert Plates & Napkins Party Kit for 8
Be sure to check out more mad science birthday party ideas here:
- Mad Science Favor Idea
- Boy Bash on a Mad Science Birthday Party Challenge
- Mad Science Birthday Party
Plus, don’t miss Mad Party Science Food: Chocolate Brains…
Which detail are you most excited to recreate at your next birthday party?