While homemade ice cream is a delicious summer stand-by, sometimes you want all of those toppings – but none of the chill! These Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes fit the bill perfectly and are a great (non-melting) option for an Ice Cream Party!
- Try out these Peanut Butter & Jelly Ice Cream Sandwiches for a fun and cool summer treat.
- Combine your favorite cereal with your favorite ice cream to create Fruity Pebbles Ice Cream.
These Ice Cream Sundae cupcakes are made with a rich and decadent chocolate cupcake, generously topped with vanilla buttercream, hot fudge sauce, sprinkles, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips – and of course, a cherry on top! You can use a boxed chocolate cake mix for this as this recipe is all about those toppings!
You could substitute in any of your own favorite ice cream sundae toppings – we just steered clear of any potential allergens like strawberries or nuts since we were making ours for a party.
Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- *For the Frosting*
- 1 cup butter
- 4-5 cups icing sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate sundae sauce
- Ice Cream Toppings of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375°F (350F if you don't want domed cupcakes).
- Line a cupcake tray with liners and set aside.
- Stir sugar with flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, and beat well.
- Slowly stir in boiling water until you reach a runny consistency.
- Portion out into cupcake liners - filling 3/4 of the way through.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes and allow to cool in the pan for one minute before removing to a cooling rack.
For the frosting
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and incorporated. Slowly add the vanilla and heavy cream, and adjust the consistency by adding more icing sugar (for stiffer) or heavy cream (for looser).
- Spread the frosting onto the cupcakes using an offset spatula, then drizzle the chocolate sundae sauce overtop. Top with remaining sundae toppings and serve!
Be sure to pin this Ice Cream Sundae Cupcake for later!
Check out more great dessert recipes everyone will love.
- Sunshine Cupcake Recipe
- One of a Kind Dr. Pepper Ice Cream Float