Over the last few years we’ve opted for family gifts instead of buying individual presents for a few of our Christmas exchanges. Sometimes that makes finding an awesome idea even more of a challenge—but not this year. I’ve found the perfect family gift: Sharper Image Pizza Box.
The Pizza Box is a slick compact oven that looks like a high-end pizza box with an amusing graphic decorating the top. This ingenious device makes baking homemade pizza very easy.
What I most like about it is how quick it bakes. You don’t need to pre-heat the Pizza Box at all so your pizza is ready to eat in less time than it takes a standard oven to warm up!
You get your pizza ready, pop it into the Pizza Box. Adjust the temperature control, set the timer. It shuts off automatically when it’s pizza time. That’s it.
Thin, standard, or rising crust 9-12” pizza, fresh or frozen—the Pizza Box handles it all. Of course, you can also use it for store-bought pizzas. College kids might really like that possibility.
Because there are heating elements on the top and bottom, pizza is cooked to perfection on the rotating tray. Even the first time, my crust came out with the just-right amount of crispy and the cheese on top was my favorite way: nice and gooey with chewy, darkened flecks.
Clean up is a snap too. The non-stick pan is easy to wash. Wipe off the cool-touch handle if you got flour on it. That’s it.
Its footprint is about 13”x17” and it weighs less than ten pounds so it’s easy to tuck into the cupboard if you don’t want to leave it on the countertop.
Just about everyone I know loves pizza, making the Pizza Box that great “something” for anyone.
A recipe booklet comes with the Pizza Box and it has a recipe for pizza dough and over 40 topping ideas, but here’s the recipe I used.
Homemade Pizza DoughPrint Pin Rate
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water 80-90 degrees
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 3 cups flour + more for dusting
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Let set for 3-5 minutes until bubbly.
- Pour into bowl of a stand mixer; add only 2 cups of flour and ½ tablespoon salt.
- Mix on low until dough is just combined. Cover and let rise 1 hour.
- After dough has risen, add olive oil, 1 cup of flour and garlic powder. Mix with dough hook until dough forms a ball. If too sticky, gradually add more flour.
- Refrigerate until ready to use or turn out onto floured surface. Form a ball with dough; cut into fourths. Set three of the pieces aside and cover until you’re ready for them. Gently roll the dough into a circle and place on the rotating baking pan of Pizza Box. Add sauce and toppings.
- Place pan inside the Pizza Box. Close the lid and turn Adjustable Temperature Control to Cook and Timer to 10 minutes.
- When timer goes off, open box and remove pan, using oven mitts.
- Use a rubber spatula to move the pizza to a cutting board and slice.
Plus, check out these other great gift ideas:
- Sharper Image Lava Lamp
- Sharper Image Remote Controlled Cars
- Sharper Image VR Headset
- Sharper Image Drones