I know it isn’t even Halloween yet, but I’m fantasizing about Christmas already. It’s going to be so much fun decorating our new home this year! I’ve been envisioning my favorite decorations and how they’ll look here and, of course, I’m thinking about favorite holiday recipes. These Nanaimo Bars top my list.
Do you have a favorite Christmas recipe? I mean, the kind that it just wouldn’t be the best Christmas if you didn’t have any? I do. Nanaimo Bars. They look good on a party dessert table, family members rave when a meal ends with them, and an enticing arrangement of the bars makes a festive hostess gift. They’re that versatile.
- Don’t miss these Edible Holiday Gift Ideas for a last minute gift idea.
- Make this Ritz Cracker Toffee for a delicious holiday treat.
I’m always surprised when someone says they’ve never heard of Nanaimo Bars. They are of Canadian origin but I understand they’re popular far beyond North America. They were originally named after the west coast city of Nanaimo, British Columbia, where they were first created in an area café.
I was a little girl the first time I ever had one. Christmas season at Grandma and Grandpa’s always came with a cozy glow of decorations, peaceful calm and a tray full of homemade cookies and treats, including Nanaimo Bars.
As I grew a little older, Grandma and I spent companionable hours in her orderly kitchen as she patiently taught me to bake. Since they became one of my favorites, I’m sure we must have made Nanaimo Bars at other times besides the holidays, but that’s when I mostly remember baking them.
And now Sam and I spend lots of fun time creating in the kitchen together. There’s a lot more teasing and a few more messes than I remember making with Grandma, but I like to think Sam’s Christmas memories will one day include our baking and laughter.
If you’re wanting to make a dessert that looks and tastes special, this could be it. They are delicious! They’re also easy to make. And very easy to eat!
Salted Nanaimo BarsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- CREAM FILLING
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup of dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- sea salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, egg, vanilla and pecans.
- 3. Press into an 8×8 greased dish.
- 4. Bake for 15 minutes and cool.
- CREAM FILLING
- 1. Mix butter on medium speed until fluffy.
- 2. Gradually add in heavy cream, custard powder and powdered sugar.
- 3. Mix until light and fluffy.
- 4. Spread over cooled crust.
- 5. Put in fridge for 1 hour or until firm.
- 1. Over low heat, stir chocolate until it begins to melt.
- 2. Slowly add in melted butter.
- 3. Do NOT let boil.
- 4. When melted completely, pour over cream filling layer. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- 5. Put back into fridge until chocolate has set, approximately 30 minutes.
- 6. Cut into squares and serve.
Bake your favorite dessert this holiday with these great sources gathered by the crew at Spaceships and Laser Beams.
(Amazon Affiliate Links)
- ChefLand Mixing Bowls Standard Weight Stainless Steel, Mirror Finish
- VonShef Professional 5 Piece Mixing Bowl Set Stainless Steel
- Farberware Nonstick Bakeware 9-by-5-Inch Loaf Pan
- StarPack Premium Silicone Mixing Spoon with Hygienic Solid Coating
- Baker’s Secret 5-Piece Measuring Spoon Set, Multi-Color
- Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, 14 Oz
- Wholesome Sweeteners, Organic Cane Sugar, 64 Oz
- Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Frosting, Vanilla Flavor, 16 Oz
- Simply Calphalon Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set
- Wilton 2105-459 Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack
- Artisan (2 pk.) Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat Set
- The New York Baking Company | 24-pack Reusable Silicone Baking Cups / Cupcake Liners
- ChefLand Mixing Bowls Standard Weight Stainless Steel
- Premium Nonstick 21 Pcs Baking Pans
- Onesource 8-Piece Deluxe Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Measuring Spoon Set
- Wilton 2105-2174 Mini Springform Pan
- Wilton 409-7716 Angled Icing Spatula
Check out more great dessert ideas perfect for the holidays.
- 23 OREO Cookie Dessert Ideas
- 29 Candy Cane and Peppermint Recipes
- 23 Gingerbread and Gingersnap Recipes