Have you gone on your first picnic this season? I’ve got a great recipe you’ll want to try: Brussels sprout and orzo picnic salad. It is DELICIOUS!
Unlike a lot of pasta, orzo holds its shape and firmness in salad so it is not unbecomingly mushy. The sprout, almond, cherry combination is delightful and when you top it with tangy goat cheese and the sweet and sour dressing—totally satisfying! It looks appealing, tastes great, and travels well. I like to put it in individual containers for picnic transport.
Add that this salad doesn’t take long to prep and you can see why it is a picnic season favorite at our house. Yum!
- Your family will love this Avocado Popcorn Shrimp on hot summer nights.
- This Perfect Easy & Spicy Potato Salad is a great dish for all your summer family gatherings.
- A simple Elbow Macaroni Salad recipe is the perfect addition to a cookout.
- Our whole gang loves this Caprese Pasta Salad as well.
- A Simple Homemade Caesar Salad is a favorite that you’ll enjoy.
- BRUSSELS SPROUT and ORZO PICNIC SALAD
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 6 cups water
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T salt
- 3 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup almond slivers
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 T dijon mustard
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t pepper
- In a medium sauce pan, bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add salt, olive oil and orzo. Cook according to the directions on the package
- Remove from heat and drain water. Allow to cool.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast almond slivers until golden brown. Cook about 3-4 minutes, stirring often so almonds do not burn. Immediately remove from heat and place on a paper towel to cool.
- While pasta is cooling, mix dressing ingredients in a 16-ounce jar and shake until well combined.
- Layer pasta, Brussels sprouts, cherries and almonds in a large bowl. Crumble goat cheese on top and toss with salad dressing. Place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Assembly: 5 minutes
- Makes 6 8-ounce portions
Check out these delicious picnic recipe ideas we’re loving!
Lighter Broccoli Salad by Mom Endeavors
Caprese Pasta Salad by See Vanessa Craft
Strawberry Mason Jar Cake by A Night Owl Blog
Brussel Sprout And Orzo Picnic Salad by Spaceships & Laserbeams
Cheese And Sausage Kolache by Ashlee Marie
Antipasto Skewers by Two Twenty One
Cheesecake In A Jar by Happiness is Homemade
Orange Fruit Dip by Play Party Plan
Apple Pecan Coleslaw by Strawberry Mommycakes
Italian Sandwiches by The Idea Room
Create your own delicious salad with these great sources gathered by the team at Spaceships and Laser Beams.
(Amazon Affiliate Links)
- Chef’n Kale, Chard, Collard Greens and Herb Stripper
- Chef’n Emulstir 2.0, Salad Dressing Mixer
- Chef’n StemGem Strawberry Huller
- Chef’n Zipstrip Herb Stripper
- Lipper International Large Wavy Bowl, Acacia
- Lipper International Oblong Salad Servers, Acacia
- Bormioli Rocco Viva Salad Bowl
- Over and Back – Sides: 4 pc. Porcelain Bowl Set
- Large Salad Serving Bowl Plus 4 Salad Bowls with Serving Fork and Spoon Bundle
- Joseph Joseph Hands On Salad Set, White
- Surpahs Melamine Mixing Bowl Set of 3 Bowls
- Home Value Nesting Mixing Bowls
- Progressive CSS-2 Green Collapsible Salad Spinner
- Lucentee¨ 2-Piece Tong Set
- Zyliss Lettuce Knife