I’ve always heard boys have huge appetites. I didn’t expect to see it already since my guys are so young but I’ve got to say we spend a lot of time going in and out of the kitchen…and nobody comes away empty handed! I’m thinking it’s probably because they are small and busy, and they burn off so much energy they need to eat often. I can only imagine our grocery bill when they’re teenagers.
(These easy chocolate chip banana cookies are another treat you’ll love.)
This week I made these mini banana nut muffins with peanut butter cream cheese frosting. They are lightly sweetened with coconut sugar and my boys love them (so do I!). They’re perfect for snacking anytime but my guys were really excited to have them as their (pre-brushing) bedtime treat.
Another “treat” both boys are excited about is their new toothbrush. Yeah—really. I’m excited that they’re excited to brush their teeth now!
We got a Philips Sonicare for Kids for our older son and he liked it so well we bought a second one for little brother. Since they are customizable with included stickers, each boy can choose his own design. That’s a big deal to kids, at least it was for mine.
This brush does 500 strokes per second. There’s a built-in pacer that plays a couple of musical notes every 30 seconds, until it stops after two minutes. The idea is that kids will learn a routine that has them brushing each quadrant of their mouth for 30 seconds. Brilliant!
The other thing that is really cool for the kids is the free interactive Bluetooth app for your phone or tablet. When your child brushes his teeth, a digital creature (Sparkly) brushes his teeth, too. The Sparkly gives brushing technique advice, tracks how long the brushing lasted and unlocks digital rewards. Sparklies even learn to repeat what kids say.
Most parents whose kids have used the Sonicare for Kids say it’s easier to get them brushing longer and better. I agree. It’s a great way to end the day, too. Much better than hearing tired kids whine about having to brush their teeth!
More Recipes You Will Love
Mini Banana Nut Muffins with Peanut Butter FrostingPrint Pin Rate
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t cinnamon
- ¼ t salt
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 ripe mashed bananas
- ¾ cup pecans or walnuts
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients, minus the sugar, and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, mix together cooled coconut oil and sugar until well blended. Add 3 eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add mashed bananas and continue to mix until wet ingredients are well incorporated.
- Slowly pour dry ingredients into wet batter and mix until just combined; stir in nuts.
- Line a mini muffin pan with wrapper and add 1 T of batter to each wrapper.
- Bake for 350 for 10-13 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.