Last updated on
Table of Contents
I’m excited to bring you these ideas in partnership with The Hershey Company.
Can you believe it is back-to-school time already? I think this summer seemed to fly by faster than any other. It’s been a great season! We love our new house, new neighbors and new neighborhood. “There’s no place like home,” has taken on fresh meaning for our family.
Even though our summer break has been stuffed with fun, new experiences, Sam is actually ready to get back to school.
Last week I started shifting our vacay laid-back schedule. School routines will take a little getting used to for all of us! Easing into earlier bedtime has been a first step.
One thing that I’m doing this year to make the transition easier on all of us is getting more organized. I’m building on what’s worked for us in the past and adding a few first-time ideas too.
So here’s what is in my bag of tricks for making this year’s summer-to-school transition easy:
- COUNTDOWN CALENDAR:: This one is more for me than Sam, but he benefits too. I’ve penciled in dates for things like buying new school supplies, clothes, a trip to the barber, an eye exam, prep for extra-curricular activities, etc.
- After accomplishing what needs to be done for the day, we do a little something extra together, like stop for an ice cream or take a go-kart ride—grabbing all the fun we can!
- ROTATING GOAL LIST:: At the beginning of each week Sam and I make out his to-do list for that week. That way we’re on top of what needs to be done so we don’t miss important events.
- PUNCH CARDS:: To keep track of Sam’s efforts I am going to use punch cards. When he finishes 15 minutes of daily reading, he gets one punch. When homework is finished he gets a punch. All completed daily chores (making his bed, picking up toys, teeth brushing, etc.,) are worth a punch.
- It takes about a week to fill up a card. At the end of that success Sam gets to choose from a list of rewards (things like extra TV time, a special treat, having a friend over, etc.).
- SCHOOL SUPPLY STATION :: This is my favorite new idea. I put together a really cute and functional school supplies station. Having markers, glue, scissors, sticky notes, and all sorts of school paraphernalia in one spot will make life easier for Sam and me.
I also intentionally included treats. Sam loves school but he has to be enticed to do homework. We’re trying to make it a positive experience so as he gets older he is ready and willing to work. He’s very reward motivated so when he takes his time and tries hard we allow him a small treat.
And yes, Sam knows I know how many treats are in there!
I found Snack Size packs of REESE’S Snack Mix (available exclusively at CVS) that easily tuck in the pockets. The sweet and salty mix of REESE’S Peanut Butter Cup Minis, REESE’S PIECES Candy, pretzels and peanuts make a great snack. Sam loves the sweet/salty combo.
Back to school means a new rhythm but I’m expecting another great season of innovative ideas, new friends and exciting experiences. Here’s to a super laid-back-to-school season for all of us!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Reese’s. The opinions and text are all mine.