Back to School Party DIY Ruler Table Runner
Are you looking for cute decoration ideas for a back to school themed party? I recently featured some apple plates that I made as part of Sam’s back to school party. I thought I would share another easy project that looks great — and looks even greater on the budget. It is the large ruler table runner that I created for $1! It works perfectly on a guest table but it would be a great décor piece for a dessert table, too. Read on for my easy instructions.
- Always remember their first day with this First Day of School Interview.
- Get set for the school year with 17 Must Have Back to School Supplies.
To make the table runner, I purchased one piece of poster board from my local dollar store. I cut it in half lengthwise and then glued it end-to-end.
The trick to not having an ugly seam when you glue something together is to use a good quality glue stick (a lot of it) and then put a strip of good quality, permanent double-sided tape over it, right at the edge.
Then to create the lines, measure at intervals along the “ruler” and draw the lines with a sharpie.
Once you’ve done that, blow up numbers on your computer to your desired size, with your desired font. Print and cut them out. Then stick them to the ruler using the glue stick, double-sided tape or glue dots.
And that’s it! I’m not sure if the photos do it justice but this project was adorable and added so much to the overall school house party vibe!
You could also make this ruler as a keepsake. Add more poster board as necessary and use it as part of an annual tradition to mark the height of your child on the first day of school each year. It would be easy to fold or roll up for storage.
Want more back to school party ideas? Check out these awesome sources put together by the crew at Spaceships and Laser Beams:
(Amazon Affiliate Links)
- 2 by 3-Inch Chalkboards, Mini, Set of 12
- Tissue Apple Party Accessory (1 count)
- Metallic Back To School Fringe Banner, 8 by 5-Feet
- Back To School Assortment Chocolate Mold
- Darice See Thru Pail with Handle, 4-Inch by 5-Inch
- Erasable Checking Pencils, Eraser Tipped, Pre-Sharpened, Set of 12, Carmine Red (14259)
- Wood Ruler with Single Metal Edge, 12″
- 5″ x 7″ Synthetic Chalkboard With Unfinished Wood Frame -Pack of 6 Chalkboards
- 4-Pack School Days Cutouts, 16-Inch
- 24 Cupcake Rings – Back To School
- 12 pcs in Box: 5″ Die Cast Classic Long Nose School Bus, Pull Back Action (Yellow)
- Play-Doh: Case of Colors
- Sesame Street School Bus Cake Kit
- Paper Party Striped Straws, Yellow/White (24 Count)
- Bright Yellow Paper Party Favor Bags, 12 Count
- Party Decoration Kit, Cherry Red Chevron
- Cargo Cool Euro Suitcases, Red, Set of 3
- School Days Whirls Party Accessory (1 count) (5/Pkg)
- Eureka Classroom Supplies, More School Supplies Clings (846021)
- Back to School Elementary School Supply (Arts & Crafts) Bundle Box K-6 Grade
Don’t miss these back-to-school ideas here:
Plus, don’t miss Back to School Party Ideas on a Budget…
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week