Back to School DIY Apple Party Plates
Back to School season is full of excitement for kids, parents and teachers. A new year full of potential is certainly worth celebrating! When I threw this Back to School Party for Sam, one of my favorite DIY ideas was these apple plates. And although I used them on the kids’ table, they would look terrific on a dessert table, too. I also think they’d be great for a really sweet bookworm themed birthday party or simply use them to take treats to share at school.
- Send a little love to school with these Back to School Lunch Box Notes.
- Pack their lunches with these 15 Back to School Snacks.
I was determined to keep this event as a super-low budget party. Party supplies came in under $50! In total the apple plates cost me $2 for 15 plates. I think that’s a steal! And wait until you see the impact they make on the party theme.
I tried a couple of versions of this apple before I decided that simple was the way to go. At first I had visions of cutting the plate into an apple shape but when I did that, the whole project just ended up looking cheap. While I was on a very strict budget, I certainly didn’t want it to look that way!
These apple plates are the simplest thing in the world to make. I just picked up a package of small plates from the local dollar stores as well as some green felt.
I cut the leaves out and adhered two sets together so that they would have more body and be stiff. Then I used a hot glue gun to secure them to the plate’s edge and voila – instant apple!
In addition to these plates, I did a few other budget-saving DIY projects as part of this party. Stay tuned for them over the next few days.
Check out these party sources put together by the crew at Spaceships and Laser Beams for great back to school party ideas:
(Amazon Affiliate Links)
- 2 by 3-Inch Chalkboards, Mini, Set of 12
- Tissue Apple Party Accessory (1 count)
- Metallic Back To School Fringe Banner, 8 by 5-Feet
- Back To School Assortment Chocolate Mold
- Darice See Thru Pail with Handle, 4-Inch by 5-Inch
- Erasable Checking Pencils, Eraser Tipped, Pre-Sharpened, Set of 12, Carmine Red (14259)
- Wood Ruler with Single Metal Edge, 12″
- 5″ x 7″ Synthetic Chalkboard With Unfinished Wood Frame -Pack of 6 Chalkboards
- 4-Pack School Days Cutouts, 16-Inch
- 24 Cupcake Rings – Back To School
- 12 pcs in Box: 5″ Die Cast Classic Long Nose School Bus, Pull Back Action (Yellow)
- Play-Doh: Case of Colors
- Sesame Street School Bus Cake Kit
- Paper Party Striped Straws, Yellow/White (24 Count)
- Bright Yellow Paper Party Favor Bags, 12 Count
- Party Decoration Kit, Cherry Red Chevron
- Cargo Cool Euro Suitcases, Red, Set of 3
- School Days Whirls Party Accessory (1 count) (5/Pkg)
- Eureka Classroom Supplies, More School Supplies Clings (846021)
- Back to School Elementary School Supply (Arts & Crafts) Bundle Box K-6 Grade
Be sure to check out more great back-to-school ideas here:
- Back to School Party Supplies
- Back to School Party Playdate
- Free Back to School Lunch Note Printables
Plus, don’t miss Back to School Party Ideas on a Budget…
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week