Watermelon Salad with Homemade Dressing
With a shift in the weather comes a shift in what we want to eatat least thats how it works for me. You too? Oh, I still like the idea of birthday cake no matter what season, but I definitely start craving salads and lighter fare as the days get longer.
- This lobster avocado sandwich is delicious, fresh and easy to make.
- You’ll enjoy this tomato and puff pastry appetizer because it’s simple and perfect for fresh tomatoes out of the garden.
I first tasted a version of this salad at a sweet little cafe last summer. Mike took me out for a date night. We had intended to eat and go to an early movie, but there were musicians at the café and outside tables with flowers. It seemed like being on vacation. You knowwhen the dailies are suspended and you feel really alive in the moment? Its just too easy to rush through our everyday have-to lists, fall into bed and get up to the same routine in the morning without celebrating those who are most important to us. That evening we were so charmed by the atmosphere and each others company that we just stayed. And stayed. It was one of those times that felt a little like when we were first datingonly better! We had a lot to talk about and it was certainly worth missing the movie!
Since that evening, that little café and this salad have become personal favorites. The salad is almost as good for you as a spring tonic! Its quick and easymy favorite way to produce food. This recipe is enough for two.
To make this watermelon salad:
- cube 3 slices of seedless watermelon
- seed and cube two medium tomatoes
- peel and cube ½ cucumber
Stir everything; top with a few torn leaves of basil and a sprinkle of goat cheese and add the salad dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon rind (I prefer to use organic lemons for this and its easy to quickly use a zester to produce.)
Try more tasty ideas with these party food recipes:
What will be your next party food creation?Follow Spaceships and Laser Beams on Pinterest.