Watermelon is the quintessential fruit of summer, but it can be a royal mess at summer parties. These watermelon cupcakes are a fun twist – sure to wow your guests without leaving them with sticky fingers or a mouth full of seeds!
- Don’t miss these 14 Cool Watermelon Crafts for a perfect summer time craft.
- Use these Watermelon Cone wrappers for your next ice cream social.
Who wouldn’t prefer mini chocolate chips to watermelon seeds? A fun and unexpected addition to these lightly flavored watermelon cupcakes, the chocolate chips add some whimsy but are completely optional.
The green buttercream frosting seen here is vanilla-flavored but I’ve also experimented with watermelon cake and lime frosting and it was delicious!
I just used a simple frosting swirl technique with no special tips required. You can add two frosting colors or shades to your piping bag for a color swirl or special effect, but these cupcakes are all about “wow” without a ton of effort.
(We’re even doctoring a box of white cake mix here, this is about easy & fun party food!)
- White or yellow pre-made cake mix
- PLUS ingredients the cake mix calls for
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Watermelon Kool-aid packet
- Red and green food coloring
- 1 cup butter
- 3-4 cups powdered or icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla OR Lime Kool-aid packet
- 4 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Make cake mix according to package directions.
- Stir in the Watermelon Kool-aid packet and chocolate chips before adding additional red food coloring until you reach a pleasant pink color (you don't want a deep red).
- Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full and bake for 18-22 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix the butter, 3 cups of the powdered sugar, salt, vanilla or Lime Kool-aid packet, and heavy cream or milk together.
- Adjust the consistency by adding more icing sugar with heavy cream and then add the green food coloring one drop at a time until you reach your desired color. Spoon the frosting into a piping bag, snip off the tip, and swirl onto your cupcakes - starting at the middle and swirling out, then swirling back in towards the center.
- Sprinkle with a few additional mini chocolate chips.
These Watermelon Cupcakes would be a total splash at your next summer party – make sure to pin them for later!
Create an decadent dessert with help from these great ideas gathered by the crew at Spaceships and Laser Beams:
(Amazon Affiliate Links)
- Wilton 2105-459 Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack
- Curva Artisan Series Double Wall Beverage Glasses and Tumblers
- Oggi Melamine Ribbed 6 Piece Mixing Bowl Set in assorted colors
- Simply Calphalon Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set
- Artisan (2 pk.) Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat Set
- The New York Baking Company | 24-pack Reusable Silicone Baking Cups / Cupcake Liners
- ChefLand Mixing Bowls Standard Weight Stainless Steel
- Premium Nonstick 21 Pcs Baking Pans
- Onesource 8-Piece Deluxe Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Measuring Spoon Set
- Wilton 2105-2174 Mini Springform Pan
- Wilton 409-7716 Angled Icing Spatula
- Wilton Recipe Right Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin Pan
Check out more great watermelon recipes:
Don’t miss Watermelon Cake Pops…Follow Spaceships and Laser Beams on Pinterest.
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week