Party Food: Crab & Fish Cupcakes
- Get inspired for a fantastic celebration with these 20 Fishing Themed Birthday Party Ideas.
- Any dad or son will love this Vintage Inspired Fishing Birthday Party.
WHAT TO DO
Make or buy your choice of cupcakes. Frost the cupcakes. If you want to create blue waves, use a decorative bag with a 1M tip. Meaghan says the sand look is created by using brown colored frosting and then dipping the frosted cupcake in brown sugar.
To make crab and fish toppers you’ll need large gumdrops. Each crab takes two red gumdrops (or orange or blue); each fish takes one gumdrop of any color.
Youll also want:
- Granulated sugar
- Twizzlers Pull n Peel Licorice
- Candy eyes
- Light corn syrup
- Wax paper
- Rolling pin
- 1 ½ oval or circle cookie cutter*
- 1 ½ fish shape cookie cutter (optional)
*For a cookie cutter this size, Meaghan advises you’re most likely to find it in a craft store as part of a set. That’’s where you’ll probably find the candy eyes, too.
MAKE THE CRAB
- Dust a sheet of wax paper with the granulated sugar. Add more as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Roll out the gumdrops.
- Cut out two ovals.
- Pull the licorice apart and cut 6 1 ½ pieces of the licorice strips for legs.
- Arrange 3 licorice legs on each side of one oval gumdrop. Smoosh the legs onto the top of the gumdrop. Use a small amount of corn syrup as glue to help them stick.
- Put the other gumdrop oval on top and smoosh the two pieces together.
- Finish with a pair of candy eyes, again using a little corn syrup.
MAKE THE FISH
- Just as you did for the crab, roll out a gumdrop on the sugar dusted wax paper.
- Use your fish shaped cookie cutter or just use scissors to snip a simple fish shape.
- Add a candy eye with your glue.
If you want to go one step further, Meaghan says you can string some of your fish on a pole! Use a large-eyed needle and thread it with a short length of bakers twine. Stick it through the fish mouth area (just guess!). Tie a knot on the mouth end and then tie another knot around the end of a lollipop stick and place the pole in a cupcake.
This could be a fun summer afternoon project to share with your kids. Tell them you’re going fishing… and then take them to the kitchen!Follow Spaceships and Laser Beams on Pinterest.
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week