Kids’ Party Food: Naturally Colored Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Healthy kids party food alert: Adorable strawberry octopus snack!
- Three ingredient frozen banana and chocolate chip ice cream.
A few clues:
- It was featured in the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the wonders of the ancient world
- It has been used as medicine as well as food
- It has been used as dye even hair dye!
- It was served to the Apollo 18 astronauts
- It is a member of the same plant family as bougainvillea, amaranth, carnations, cacti, spinach and venus fly traps
- It has a good reputation: nutritional benefits include fiber, B-complex vitamins and minerals, anti-oxidants, low in calories, zero cholesterol, plus the pectin in this item helps bind excess hormones, heavy metals and toxins, and it helps promote healthy LDL cholesterol levels
Who is this marvel? Behold the beet!
Cooked beets impart a rich creaminess to baked goods, plus it gives my red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting a lovely color without artificial anything.
Baking with beets is a sneaky way to slip more nutrition into something kids want to eat. Did you ever think youd be telling your kids to eat your cupcake; its good for you?
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Beets Recipe
+ 3/4 cup cooked and pureed beets
+ 1/4 cup grape seed (or any vegetable) oil
+ 1 cup sugar
+ 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
+ 1 3/4 cups of flour
+ 1.5 teaspoons cocoa
+ 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
+ 1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Puree cooked beets once they have cooled. Blend with oil, sugar and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and fold into beet mixture. Fold in milk. Fill cupcake baking cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Easy Cream Cheese Icing Recipe
+ 1/3 cup light cream cheese
+ 1 teaspoon vanilla
+ 2 1/4 cup icing sugar
+ 1 tablespoon lowfat milk
Beat cream cheese and vanilla till fluffy. Slowly beat in in icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time until fully blended. Ice cupcakes once cooled.
Other Root Vegetable Recipes I Love
More Unique Kids Party Food Ideas