Family Movie Night Ideas + Homemade Pudding Recipe
This blog post was sponsored by Horizon but the opinions are all my own.
When I was a kid, I always loved it when Dad and I watched a movie together. I suppose that happy memory is what sparked the idea of family movie night at our house. We regularly try to have an evening when we all claim a spot on the sofa and settle in to be entertained. It’s a great way to kick back together, especially when you’re tired and don’t feel like playing a game or doing crafts.
A great family movie night at our house always includes:
- A good movie! I keep a running list of movie titles as we hear of potentials. The local library usually has free movies to borrow, too. If it’s something Mike or I haven’t seen before we check with friends or one of the media rating sites.
- Plenty of snacks and drinks.
- P.J.’s or lounge pants and a T-shirt are the uniforms of the evening.*
- Extra pillows and blankets make nesting even cozier. Occasionally a sleeping bag might join the party so a zoned out kid doesn’t have to get up when the movie ends.
- Turning down the lights, a la’ movie theatre.
- Phones are turned off and no additional electronic devices are invited.
* On occasion, some of us have been known to wear a silly costume piece that goes with the movie theme. 🙂
Nibbles and noshes make the evening more of an event so I make sure we have a tray filled with treats. Horizon Fruit Snacks and Snack Crackers make it easy to stock our tray as there are several flavors to choose from. DHA free Apple Fruit Crunchers are a favorite here and I have a hard time leaving the Cheddar Snack Crackers alone!
Sam thinks Horizon’s individual (chocolate, vanilla or strawberry) milk bottles are cool—I think they’re convenient and I feel good about including them as our beverages.
Some nights Horizon Chocolate Pudding Cups or Vanilla Yogurt are on the snacking menu. When I’m feeling ambitious I might make vanilla pudding cups with a cinnamon graham crust. Mmm, good!
- 1 cup Horizon Cinnamon Snack Grahams
- 1 ½ tablespoons Horizon Organic Butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups Horizon Organic Milk
- 2 slightly beaten egg yolks (or 1 well-beaten egg)
- 2 tablespoons Horizon Organic Butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1. Put graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor and turn on high until finely ground. Add butter.
- 2. Spoon into sturdy cupcake wrappers and bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- 3. As crusts cool, prepare pudding.
- 1. Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Add milk.
- 2. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- 3. Cook and stir about 2 more minutes and remove from heat.
- 4. Stir small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return to hot mixture to cook and stir 2 more minutes.
- 5. Remove from heat to add butter and vanilla.
- 6. Once crusts have cooled and pudding has set, spoon pudding into cups. Place small cups inside a larger snack cup for easier presentation. Top with Horizon Chocolate Snack Grahams, dried fruit, nut pieces, mini chocolates, etc.
Find out more great recipes featuring Horizon by visiting their Pinterest.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week