- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 5 cups cooked shredded chicken (recipe below)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
For the dumplings:
- 2 1/3 cup biscuit mix
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- In a small measuring cup, measure out the milk for dumplings and stir in 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar. Let sit until ready to use.
- In a large pot, pour in olive oil, carrots, onions and seasonings. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken, peas and broth. Bring to a low simmer.
- While soup is coming to a low simmer, make the dumplings. In a large bowl, mix together biscuit mix and soured milk. Mix until it forms a ball. Generously flour a clean surface and turn the dough out and form a round disc. Roll out until ½ inch thick. Use a pizza cutter to cut into strips. Then cut the strips into thirds.
- When the soup comes to a boil, stir in cream of chicken and cream of celery soup.
- Gently add the dumplings to the pot and gently stir.
- Let simmer for 5-7 minutes until the dumplings have cooked through.
- Let cool slightly and garnish with fresh parsley.
For the chicken:
Place 6 large chicken breasts in a crockpot. Season generously with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Thickly slice 1 sweet onion and place rings over the top of the chicken. Pour in ½ cup water or chicken broth. Cook on low for 3-4 hours. When done, shred the chicken to use in various meals. ( I used half for the dumplings and will use the rest for enchiladas)