Brunch with My Hubby and Other Favorite Things
I recently did a quick calculation and realized I hadn’t been out on a weekend on my own — without at least my husband or son being part of it — since 2013. (Let’s not count getting groceries or banking.) So, you can imagine how excited I was two weeks ago to get together with a bunch of other women who blog and live in my area. It was so much fun and left me feeling completely inspired.
One of my favorite parts of the weekend was the Sunday brunch at the hotel. (Go figure.) It was amazing. And I can’t believe it is only 45 minutes from my house. Never have we traveled anywhere that had such a spread. For days, I had brunch on my mind. Because I talked about it so much, Mike and I decided to make a date and go to brunch at the same hotel, followed by some early Christmas shopping just for us. The perfect date in my books!
So last Sunday, we left Sam with a sitter and set out on our date. It was so decadent. I loved it. I dressed up in my Sunday brunch finest — and Mike looked super sharp. Usually by this time of year, as soon as the temperature takes the slightest dip, he has turned into a burley woodsman. (In previous years, his beard has been legendary at his work.) But since I gave him his new electric razor — the Philips Shaver Series 9000 we were asked to try — he’s looking like a whole new man.
Mike has a really thick beard and sensitive skin. With most razors that means he has to be really aggressive to get a smooth shave. Since he started using the Philips Shaver Series 9000 he doesn’t mind shaving at all. At brunch, I actually thought how great it was to see Mike freshly shaved, on the weekend no less!
The shaver is so impressive, we’re thinking of getting my dad one for Christmas, too. Do you think it’s harder to come up with gift ideas for guys? I do. This year I’ve got a suggestion that almost any male past puberty would love: the Philips Shaver 9000. It’s one of the most technologically advanced shavers on the market. And Mike LOVES it. I am pretty sure he has never been clean shaven this long in his life–EVER. Because of the dual-blade design, the razor lifts hair before it’s cut and that comfortably shaves hair below the skin level. Add that each shaving head moves in eight directions to follow the contour of the face and you can understand why it gives such great results.
As I said, my weekend with my blogging buddies left me completely inspired, so when Mike mentioned he had a hankering for something with chocolate and peanut butter in it, I couldn’t resist making a brunch inspired item with those ingredients. Plus, how could I deny making my clean shaven 🙂 hubby happy with his favorite flavor combo when he looks so sweet and asked so nicely? I couldn’t! Here’s what I made this afternoon: peanut butter and chocolate crescent danishes! So quick, easy and tasty!
- Using a bread knife (run under water to make cutting easy), cut crescent roll into 10 equal sections.
2. Flatten using a glass. Danish will be approximately 1/4 inch thick.
3. Bake according to package instructions. As soon as the danishes come out of the oven, use a spoon to create a dent in the middle.
4. Mix 3 tablespoons of hazelnut spread with 3 teaspoons of heavy cream to create a chocolate ganache. Stir until creamy and well blended. (If you want more, the ratio is 1 tablespoon of spread to 1 teaspoon of heavy cream.)
5. Fill the indent of the danish with the ganache.
6. Combine two tablespoons of peanut butter chips and a drop of corn oil in a plastic bag. Heat for 20-30 seconds. Massage chips until entirely melted. Snip a tiny corner off the bag and drizzle over danishes.
7. Tastes yummy warm or room temperature!
By the way, back to the awesome razor Mike has been using — if you’re looking for a great gift for the man in your life, you can find the Philips Shaver 9000 at major retailers, including Amazon.ca, Best Buy, London Drugs, Canadian Tire, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Centre Du Rasoir, and Personal Ed.
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week