Party Crafts and DIY
DIY Marquee Sign
This post is presented in partnership with Universal Pictures.
Whether you need light-hearted fun this holiday season or you want quality family punch-out time, I know just the thing: SING.
I’m not talking about singing with the choir—although you’ll be head bouncing in your seat—I’m talking about the new animated film that features more than 65 hit songs and a cast of proven winners. SING hits theaters everywhere on December 21.
One of the best things about the holiday season is the number of amazing movies that come out in theaters during this time. As a movie buff, I am super excited that there is a family film that Sam, Mike, and I can go to…and enjoy!
I’ve been reading reviews and it looks like the film is joyous. They are raving about the production numbers and singing. The kernel of the film’s message is a positive reminder that fear shouldn’t stop you from doing the thing you love. You have to DREAM BIG.
Along with their engaging stories, five contestants emerge as leaders in the competition. You’ll meet Rosita (Reese Witherspoon), an overtaxed mother of 25 piglets; Meena (Tori Kelly), a timid teenage elephant with an enormous case of stage fright; Johnny (Taron Egerton), the young gorilla wanting to break free of his family’s felonies; Mike (Seth MacFarlane), a con-artist mouse who croons; and Ash (Scarlett Johansson), the punk-rock porcupine struggling to shed an arrogant boyfriend as she goes solo.
SING joins the list of captivating films by the same studio that brought us: Despicable Me, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, Despicable Me 2, Minions (the second-highest-grossing animated movie in history) and The Secret Life of Pets.
I’ve been told we are going to LOVE the grand finale!
This awesome marquee sign is an off-shoot of the movie’s message, “dream big”. Mike and I were inspired to make it for Sam’s playroom (but it would also be perfect for a themed birthday party) as a cool reminder for Sam. He came home from school, saw the sign, and immediately started performing.
He sang his little heart out. I didn’t know he had those moves in him! It was the most adorable thing I have seen.
Watch the trailer below and make plans with your family to see SING in theaters this holiday season.
DREAM BIG marquee: perfect for starring in kids’ rooms and playrooms. This is how to build it.
Items You Will Need
- 1 piece 2’ x 4’ x ¼” plywood
- 2 pieces of 2” x 1” 8’ length wood strips
- drill and 1” auger bit
- globe-bulb Christmas lights
- 2 cans grey primer spray paint
- 1 can white primer spray paint
- 1 can black spray paint
- 1 can red spray paint
- high adhesive glue (we used Gorilla Glue)
- 8” wooden letters spelling DREAM BIG + arrow
- two picture hanging hooks and wire – sized appropriate for the weight of your final sign
- optional: black sharpie, black electrical tape
What To Do
- Measure and cut 2” x 1” to create a frame around plywood backing.
- Prime letters, plywood and wood strips.
- When dry, spray paint letters red, strips of wood black, and the plywood white.
- Use glue to adhere border and letters (use sparingly as it foams).
- Measure out holes for lights. (We did 38 in total and joined a string and a half of 25 foot globe lights to go through them. If you are unable to do minor electrical, plan for the number of holes to correspond with the number of lights on a single string of lights.)
- Use auger to drill. If wood splinters, you can easily fill in with a black sharpie.
- If lights have clips on them, use pliers to remove.
- Remove bulb and push outlet through back of sign. Screw bulb back on.
- If you have excess wire between lights, use electrical tape to tape it down.
- To hang: Using the leftover 1” x 8” wood strips, cut four 3” sections. Nail two to the top and two to the bottom. Add picture hanging hooks to the top pieces, string wire between the two.
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week