Party Crafts and DIY
DIY: How to Make Sidewalk Chalk
When you have kids in the home and the Summer days are quickly approaching its only perfect to make your own Homemade Sidewalk Chalk. (I have always loved this post and wanted to try my own). Homemade Sidewalk Chalk is so easy to make and you can get very creative with the type of silicone molds you use for shapes. I had a heart-shaped one left over from this past Valentine’s Day but I can’t wait to try others! This is a relatively easy project that allows the kids to be hands on and by the next day theyll be drawing all over the sidewalks!
- Learn How to Make Giant Bubbles for hours of fun!
- Don’t miss these 25 Awesome Backyard Activities to keep keeps active all summer long.
- Here are 25 Easy Art Techniques for Preschoolers!
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own homemade sidewalk chalk:
- Blue Tempura Paint
- Plaster of Paris (Dry Powder)
- Silicone Mold of your choice
- Disposable cups
- Stirring utensil (I used a plastic spoon)
Here’s how DIY sidewalk chalk:
Grab your disposable cups and pour 1 cup of water in the cup. If you are going to be making different colored chalks you will need one cup per color. After you add in your water pour in about 1 cup of Plaster of Paris and stir really well.
Once all the powder has been mixed in with the water its time to pour in the paint. Add as little or as much paint as you wish. I just squeezed the bottle and continued to stir until I was happy with the blue color.
As soon as youre done mixing up the sidewalk chalk mixture pour your mixture into your silicone molds up to the top. Each cup filled up 3 large silicone mold openings.
Allow your chalk to dry for 24 hours (or until it is completely dry, depending on the size) in the silicone mold and be sure not to move them during the drying process. The way they dry is from the bottom through the top and by moving them you can possibly ruin the final outcome of the chalk. I haven’t tried other options yet, but smaller molds MAY dry quicker. I will keep you updated on my experiment.
After 24 hours carefully turn the molds upside down and the sidewalk chalk should pop right out. Head outside and enjoy drawing and writing your favorite sayings all over the sidewalk. Enjoy!
Let their imaginations soar with these awesome craft sources gathered by the team at Spaceships and Laser Beams.
- Darice EDU1525 300-Pack Craft Supplies, Assorted
- ALEX Toys – Craft Giant Art Jar 170N
- Elmer’s 3D Washable Glitter Pens, Classic Rainbow and Glitter Colors
- Fibre Craft 300-Pack Sm’ART Parts
- ROYLCO R2131 Bright Buttons, Assorted Sizes, Shapes and Color
- Fibre Craft Foam Stickers, 5-Ounce, Magic Gardens
- 26 pc Plastic Alphabet Stampers ~ one of each letter
- Crayola Washable Kid’s Paint (6 count)
- Crayola Washable Watercolors, 24 count
- Darice Crafts Bead Kit Plastic Pony Bead Mega Critters Bucket
- Design Your Own Watch It Grow Medium Seed Pots – Crafts for Kids & Design Your Own
- Lauri Toys Peel and Stick by Numbers Spring Flowers
- Perler Beads Fused Bead Kit, Spring Flower
Check out more great outdoor ideas kids will love.
Plus, check out DIY Outdoor Chalkboard…
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week