Party Crafts and DIY
Button Christmas Tree
Have you made a list and checked it twice? I don’t mean for the naughty and nice bit. I mean have you made a list of fun holiday things to do with the kids this year? We always try to go to a Christmas play or seasonal music program but I like to have some crafts lined up too. A mom can only endure hearing “how many sleeps ‘til Christmas?” a limited amount of time! I’ve found having themed craft ideas helps to hurry Christmas into being somehow.
This darling button Christmas tree craft is a fun project that yields cute results. You can make it any size, according to how many buttons you have and how long you want to keep the kids busy—or make more than one! It can be a decoration for your own home (or their room) or give it as a sweet gift.
Of course this craft idea is only for kids old enough to know not to put buttons in their mouths. Or ears. Or noses. And a lower temperature glue gun or a glue bottle is best for kids.
- Check out 8 Christmas Eve Traditions You Can Start Right Now.
- Put those LEGO’s to use with these 12 Christmas Ornaments Made with Lego.
- These Homemade Button Cards are absolutely darling!
BUTTON CHRISTMAS TREE
- large old picture frame (or new, if you prefer)
- red spray paint
- variety of green buttons
- variety of brown or black buttons
- glue gun
#1. Use the red spray paint to paint the old picture frame red. I painted mine outside, in our garage on an old sheet. Let dry.
#2. Gently wrap the burlap around the picture frame’s glass and insert it back into the picture frame. This was a snug fit on my old frame but it fit nicely once I secured the back.
#3. Using the green and brown/black buttons, design your tree on the burlap without gluing the buttons down (see photo).
#4. Once you know how big you would like your tree, add a small dollop of hot glue to the back of each button and secure them to the burlap. Repeat this step until you have all your buttons glued onto the burlap.
Celebrate the holiday spirit with these festive craft ideas gathered by the team at Spaceships and Laser Beams.
- 12 Beaded Holiday Charm Bracelet Craft Kits
- Snowman Photo Frame Magnet Craft Kit (12 Count) – Christmas/Crafts for Kids & Photo Crafts
- Kid Friendly Decorate Your Own Holiday Ornament Crafting Kit Makes 30 Ornaments
- Magic Color Scratch Christmas Tree Ornaments (24 Count) – Crafts for Kids & Ornament Crafts
- Button Wreath Ornament Craft Kit – Crafts for Kids & Ornament Crafts, Makes 12
- Legend Of The Gingerbread Man Ornament Craft Kit – Crafts for Kids & Ornament Crafts
- CHRISTMAS CHARACTER PHOTO ORNAMENT CRAFT KIT/1 DOZEN/6 1/2 INCHES TALL
- Beaded Candy Cane Ornament Craft Kit – Crafts for Kids & Ornament Crafts
- 72 Christmas Holiday Glitter Temporary Tattoos
- Kinzd® 27PCs Party Supplies Props Christmas Favors Tree Gift Star Heart Die Cut with Sticks and Glue
- Inflatable Reindeer Antler Ring Toss Game-Holiday Party
- CHRISTMAS Toys and Novelty assortment (50 pc)
Check out more great holiday DIY ideas to keep you and your kids busy.
- 11 Awesome Homemade Gifts You and Your Kids Can Make
- 13 Homemade Christmas Ornaments Kids Can Make
- 28 Christmas Crafts Made from Toilet Paper Rolls
Plus, check out 13 Christmas Crafts for Kids…
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Stephanie is in love with a boy named Sam. He has taught her that it's okay to jump first and look later, to wear a dirty shirt to the park and to decide that today is a good day to take a nap in your rubber boots. She hangs out here blogging at Spaceships and Laser Beams and at our printable party shop on Etsy.