A Sensational Surfing Party
Get ready to catch a wave of inspiration ideas at this wonderfully themed boy’s surfing party by Sara of The Homespun Hostess, with photos taken by Maggie Russo Photo. Planned for Sara’s son Andrew, this 7th birthday party features a color palette of summer bright shades of orange and blue from the dessert table all the way to party favors. Sara recruited her sister of Little Miss Sweet Tooth to make tubular treats guests were sure to love.
I love Sara’s approach to the surfing party theme. She reused and repurposed many items from around her home and shopped smart to pick up things needed to pull together a coordinated party.
First, let’s talk about the sensational dessert table. Sara used fabric to make a striped backdrop, which she carried to her table as a runner. The color of her walls already coordinated with the party theme—bonus! A simple paper flag bunting was strung across the backdrop, and orange paper lanterns were placed on the tabletop for colorful whimsy. A wooden beach directional sign completed the decor.
Sara chose to focus her efforts on rounding up popular party staples—birthday cake, cupcakes, shark infested Jell-O and cookies! OK, the shark infested Jell-O might not be a party staple, but every surfing party needs some sharks! Notice the little “caution sharks” flags in each Jell-O cup—cute!
Now these weren’t just any ordinary desserts. Each was detailed and coordinated with the party theme. The cake was a masterpiece with blue ombre layers, covered in white buttercream and accented on the circumference with surfboard cookies. I love how it’s displayed on a bed of edible brown sugar “sand”.
Likewise, “catch a wave” cookies and surfboard cookies couldn’t have been cuter! The wave cookies were displayed on a tray with striped orange and white patterned paper, while the surfboards were propped up in more brown sugar sand.
Cupcakes were dressed with “surfs up” party flags on toothpicks. They were served in striped baking cups on top of a cork surfboard Sara picked up inexpensively at a local store.
Because surfers need more than just sugar to hang ten, Sara planned a cookout with food served in retro style blue baskets from “Andrew’s Beach Grill”. I love the mini cups of fruit and coleslaw with custom “Andrew’s Beach Grill” food picks. And don’t you think the water and soda bottles coordinate well with their matching labels?
My favorite detail has to be the awesome punch bowl complete with shark fin ice cubes!
A party favor station was set up on a shelf Sara repurposed from her home. “Andrew’s Surf Shack” had so many fun goodies for guests. From the dollar store Sara picked up sunscreen, sunshine cookie sticks (with custom labels) and sunglasses. After-Easter shopping turned up perfectly coordinating lollipops! Bubbles with custom labels were also a hit, as was the orange candy that Sara displayed in a candy jar. She had $4 beach towels embroidered with the kids’ names as a final surprise!
No party planning wipeouts at this surfing party! What a way to celebrate a 7th birthday!
Take a look at the surfing party themed products our Spaceships and Laser Beams crew rounded up for you!
(Amazon Affiliate Links)
- Small 3.25″ Bucket w/Rake, Scoop and Shovel- 12 sets
- Decor Sand 28oz/Pkg-Light Brown
- 24 ct – Beach Party Sand Toy Cupcake Picks
- Beach Set in Bag
- One Dozen ~(12)~ 6″ Rainbow Colored Beach Balls
- Beach Toys Assortment! 12 Shutter Shade Sunglasses 12 Squirt Guns 12 Beach Balls & 12 Bubble Bottles!
- Tropical Fish Lollipops (1 dz)
- 20 LED Beach Party String Lights with Starfish Covers
- Tie-dyed Drawstring Tote Bags (1 Dz)
- Paper Straws, Orange, 25 Count
- Orange Paper Goody Bags
- Plastic Cutlery Assortment and Knives/Forks/Spoons, Neon Orange, 17 Place Setting-Count
- 2-Pack Packaged Tissue Grass Mats Party Decoration
- Lime Green Bulk Tissue Paper 15″ x 20″ – 100 Sheets
- Party Destination – Crab 21″ Pull-String Pinata – Standard
- 1 Dozen Adorable Plush Colorful Sea Creatures (4-6 inch)
- U.S. Shell, Inc. Starfish Mix
- Sea Creatures Candy Mold, 5 Designs
- Orange Chevron Party Kit – Cut-Your-Own-Party Decoration Kit
- zBoard Eco Storage Cube, White
Don’t miss these awesome party ideas, full of surf party inspiration!
- Surf’s Up Party
- Summer Birthday Party Theme Ideas for Boys
- Surfs Up: A Budget Friendly Boy Surfing Party
Plus, check out A Boy’s Summer Surfing Party…
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week