Wild West Cowboy Birthday Party!
Saddle up, because this boy’s cowboy birthday party theme takes guests on a fanciful journey into the Wild West. Created by Natasha of Mini Mocha for her son, the cowboy birthday theme comes to life with party supplies like cowhide cups, tin lanterns, and sheriffs’ badges. Natasha’s DIY party decorations add so much excitement to the event!
- Giddy up on over and feast your eyes on these budget friendly cowboy tablescape ideas.
- Corral your favorite party ideas from this cowboy birthday party.
Natasha proved there’s no better place for a cowboy themed birthday party than outside in the backyard, in the open air—a perfect place for the party’s cowboys and cowgirls to eat birthday cake and wet their whistles. The cowboy theme party is also a great excuse for costume dress up. Guests donned provided bandanas and cowboy hats, ready to saddle up and journey into the Wild Wild West!
Natasha’s DIY party decorations would be easy to make at home, and they add so much fun to the setting! A cardboard cactus comes to life with green paint and prickles made of spaghetti (so clever!). The “Beware of Poisonous Cactus” sign and a rope coil finish off the creative party prop.
A sheriff’s office with swinging doors and a jail cell with barred windows are made from refrigerator-sized cardboard boxes and black marker.
There’s also an awesome cardboard hitching post for “horse parking”. A variety of play horses decorate the space, and bales of straw are used as soft seating throughout the backyard.
I love the tee-pee Natasha fashioned from leftover fabric scraps, rope and bamboo. You know the kids loved it too!
The color scheme appropriately pays homage to a dry and sandy western town. A brown paper runner and framed lunch menu decorate the food station, and cowboy-friendly foil pie dishes are used as plates. A burlap flag banner hangs above and spells out the birthday boy’s name.
A white tablecloth adds to the neutral color scheme, while a red burlap table runner adds a bright pop of color.
Personal-sized quiche and star fruit sticks were especially popular with younger ranch hands but the menu also included cowboy favorites like sticky pork ribs, roast beef on baguette toast, and flat bread roll-ups.
Mini waffle cones that wouldn’t mind the sun were filled with cookie cake balls and covered in white chocolate, to the delight of little guests.
A white chocolate mud birthday cake decorated with Maltesers and topped with everyone’s favorite sheriff, Woody from Toy Story, wasn’t the only sweet treat. There were lemon curd cupcakes with Italian meringue, wagon wheels, strawberry Jell-O cups, fondant topped star cookies, and cookies and cream ice cream with mini Oreos. What a chow wagon!
No cowboy birthday party is complete without a few “WANTED” signs, which was also a great party activity for kids! Each cowboy/girl got to play sheriff by creating their own portrait of a cowhand wanted for not cleaning the horse stables or their room! Each Wanted poster printout from Bookmaking with kids is concealed in a parchment paper bag and comes with a shiny sheriff’s badge. Yee Haw!
In addition to the popular play structures, there were lots of activities to keep the party galloping: square dancing, musical chairs, pass Mr. Potato Head, darts (with kid-friendly magnetized darts), lasso games, and The Claw. Based on Toy Story’s mechanical game, this party’s cardboard and cellophane version was very popular. Kids used a toy claw to grab for a prize.
Planning a cowboy birthday party? Check out these party sources put together by the Spaceships and Laser Beams crew.
(Amazon Affiliate Links)
- Western Wanted Sign
- Cowboy Silhouettes, 35-Inch and 37-Inch
- Wild West Town Props Party Accessory (1 count) (4/Pkg)
- Cowboy Boots Photo/Balloon Holder Party Accessory (1 count)
- Clear Plastic Cowboy Boot Mugs (1 dz)
- 20 pc Cast Iron Horseshoes for Decorating and Crafts
- RUSTIC NYLON BARB WIRE WILD WEST DECORATION – 18 Feet
- Horseshoe Metal Cookie Cutter
- Desert Sky & Sand Backdrop Party Accessory (1 count) (1/Pkg)
- Western Sugar Decorations Cookie Cupcake Cake 12 Count
- FloraCraft Straw Bales, 18-Inch Porch Bale
- FloraCraft Straw Bales, 6-Inch-by-6-Inch-12-Inch Bale
- 2-Pack 24in Old Fashioned Wooden Wagon Wheel
- Roundabouts Cupcake Sleeves Wine Barrel Cupcake Sleeve (Pack of 24)
- Wine Barrel Planter
- Walnut Hollow Rustic Basswood Round, Extra Large
- Kate Aspen 4 Count Wood Place Card/Photo Holder, Rustic Real
- Hortense B. Hewitt Rustic Log Cake Stand Wedding Accessories
Be sure to check out more cowboy birthday party ideas here:
Plus, don’t miss 52 Cowboy Birthday Party Ideas…