A Colorful Boys’ Bug Birthday Party
Beetles and spiders and flies, oh my! Two adorable little friends literally bugged out together for their 5th birthdays. Moms Vivian Kerr (Kerr Kreations) and Lisa Saunders planned this bug birthday party to celebrate the love their sons share for the outdoors and bugs. What a great way for energetic boys to party! I’m pretty confident their picnic inspired decorations, bug themed cupcakes, treats and creative party activities will have you reaching for the bug spray! The colorful photos were captured by Andrea Pasion Photography.
- Youll go buggy over these unique bug themed birthday supplies.
- Let your imaginations fly with these 20 bug themed birthday ideas.
After putting out feelers for online inspiration, Vivian came across the graphic design work of Birds Party and immediately knew Bird could create the look she and Lisa had in mind for the buggy bash. Bird designed an adorable bug themed invitation and coordinating printables for the event, which kicked the cute factor up a notch..
Upon arrival guests were transported into the colorful world of bugs. Outfitted in hand-sewn bug explorer vests (Vivian) and pith hats and armed with bug collecting pails, guests became official bug explorers. The long awaited adventure could begin!
A beautiful picnic-inspired food table was set up, which included colorful party printables and stylish outdoor picnic elements. I love how the checkered table cloth paired with the picnic baskets and other hand-crafted backdrop scenery to achieve a striking dessert display. Combined with specially chosen bug themed food, this area was all a-buzz with busy kids swooping in for snacks and treats!
Vivian shared that Pinterest was a great source of inspiration for bug-tastic menu ideas. They settled on Creepy Corn Dog Centipedes from Beth, of Hungry Happenings, Banana Caterpillars found at Little Page Turners and Sandwich Snails from Itsy Belle Studio. A few of their own additions included Caterpillar Cheese Puffs, Butterfly Pasta Salad, Frog Eyes, and Bug Juice. Items were served on wood rounds, grass-colored, paper covered boxes, and simple white platters. Not only did the food offerings have clever bug inspired names, but they looked bug-like too! I adore the framed printable signs which helped young explorers identify each menu item.
Keeping a swarm of five-year-olds entertained definitely required organizational skills of two queen bees. Vivian and Lisa planned a series of fun bug-centric stations for little explorers to rotate through. First was a bean bag toss game which they made by covering cans with coordinating paper from the printable collection. Explorers each had a turn to knock down as many bugs as they could to win prizes for their bug favor collections.
Next, boys rotated to a craft station where they made their own butterfly snack. Inspired by these adorable butterfly snacks from Juggling with Kids, Vivian and Lisa helped guests make an edible craft using basic craft supplies and colorful candies.
The third station was a critters memory game. Kids at this age love testing their memories. Bird made up a coordinating, printable, bug-themed memory game the boys enjoyed playing. Nathan and Logan’s moms included a copy for each boy in the take-home favors too.
Finally, the much anticipated bug hunt was the last station. What would a bug party be without a bug hunt? These bug explorers did not want to find out. The boys loved scrambling through the backyard searching for eggs containing toy bugs they could take home. After finding all of their allotted bugs, each explorer received the final elements of their explorer kits — personalized water bottles and their very own bug vacuum!
The celebration ended on a high, as guests belted out Happy Birthday to their friends while enjoying buggy cupcakes and ice cream. One of my favorite details from the whole party was the cupcakes displayed in cute silicone terra cotta pots. A little green tinted coconut grass, a plastic bug and a cute printable logo, and these cupcakes were a hit!
This bug-tastic party was an incredible celebration for two best buddies! Guests left flying high!
Looking for party supplies for your boys bug birthday party? We think youll love these party sources put together by the Spaceships and Laser Beams crew:
- BUG Insect PARTY Table Decor/12 Beverage Straws/16 LUNCHEON NAPKINS/25′ Party TAPE Streamers
- SALE Birthday Bugs Hanging Cutouts SALE
- Darice 1029-03 16-Piece Plastic Insects, 2-Inch
- Bug Eyed Insects Birthday Party Supplies Set Plates Napkins Cups Kit for 16
- SEOH Petri Dish 100 x 15Mm 20/Pk
- Albanese Assorted Mini Fruit Worms 2-Inch, 5-Pounds
- Plastic Magnifying Glasses (1 dz)
- SALE Birthday Bugs Stringer SALE
- Realistic Gummy Bugs – Candy & Goodies – 454G
- 3 Bug Mylar Balloons – A Spider, a Bee and a Cricket – Party Decor
- Fox Run 5 Piece Insect Cookie Cutter Set
- Beistle 57161 2-Pack Packaged Tissue Grass MatsParty Decoration, 15 by 30-Inch
- 3 Plastic Ants Cake Toppers
- Mini Plastic Toy Ants 1 1/2″ (Approx 72 Pcs)
- Bugs Sugar Decorations Cookie Cupcake Cake 12 Count
- Leaf Collage Recycled Paper Bag – Package of 5
- 100 Natural Kraft Merchandise Bags, 5″x7-1/2″, No Gusset
- Bark Textured Glass Serving Bowl
- Bark Textured Glass Serving Dish
- Durable Glass Beverage Dispenser with Spigot and Stand 1.5 Gallons
Be sure to check out more bug birthday party ideas here:
What detail from this boys bug birthday party was your favorite?Follow Spaceships and Laser Beams on Pinterest.
Take a peek at these 20 Bug Themed Birthday Parties
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week