A Boys Mario Kart Birthday Party
When Cassius asked for a Mario Kart themed birthday party, his parents, who are also the owners of Playmaker U and MudPie Parties, agreed as long as the following terms were met: first, party guests had to be active; second, there had to be imaginative play; third, the design had to include lots of color! Mario lovers will be thrilled with the incredible details mom Melissa Peterson shares, showcasing how all of the activities, decorations and play came together to create one memorable Mario Kart birthday extravaganza! Kudos to Jesse Kushneryk for photographing all of the action-packed details.
- Cruise on over and check out the wheelie cute ideas in this car themed growing up too fast birthday party.
- Fuel up on inspiration for your car party planning with ideas from these 39 boys race car birthdays.
One of Melissas primary goals was to transport the party goers into the game world of Mario Kart. How do you accomplish such a feat? Melissa dreamed of adding kid-sized cars, a photo booth and hats for dressing up. She chose a color scheme of yellow and red paired with the checkerboard pattern, reminiscent of game play.
Melissa turned to graphic designers Anders Ruff Custom Designs for her printable design needs. They customized their vintage race car collection, updating the color way to match her requirements. Party printables are a fab way to pack a punch at a party and tie colors and a theme together.
To decorate, Melissa used 36 round balloons to frame the room perimeter. More balloons added festive color to the entrance and refreshment tables. Balloons are a great and inexpensive party decoration, especially useful when you are transforming a large space. Throughout the training area, Melissa placed kid-sized Mario Kart images she made by mounting printed designs on plastic boards.
Guests were greeted at the entrance table with a large chalkboard poster detailing fun facts about Cassius. This table also doubled as a trophy/favor station. Adorable Mario Kart themed gift bags were on display for the duration of the party. Did you notice the cute custom Trophy Station signage?
While waiting for other guests, early arrivals were encouraged to pop by the Pit Stop. Kids could choose from an assortment of Mario character hats (Luigi, Mario, Princess Peach or Yoshi) to dress the part. In addition, little racers could decorate a Melissa and Doug race car kit or play in the 30 ft. obstacle course bouncy castle.
Melissa put a great deal of thought into the party menu. She narrowed choices to food that was easily manipulated, likely to be eaten and coordinated with the theme. I love the healthy, clever options she served:
- Star-shaped sunflower butter and jelly sandwiches in red and white striped popcorn style boxes
- Turkey sandwiches on a stick
- Vegetable crudité in individual cups, with and without dip
- Fresh raspberry and blueberry filled Mario Kart push-up pops
At the darling beverage station guests could choose milk, water or fresh squeezed strawberry lemonade. Vintage style milk bottles were dressed for the party with twine and character label embellishments. Water bottles had custom printable refuel racecar wraps. In addition, mason jars with colorful paper straws and star lids could be used for a fill er up.
The dining table looked like a full-on speedway! A roadway was created from a black table runner and white duct tape strips. A large printable car from Anders Ruff was mounted to a checkered, print covered, Styrofoam block. This made an attractive centerpiece. Each place setting included wheel inspired plates, napkins with darling party logos, wooden cutlery and decked out beverage bottles.
My favorite part of the set-up was the dessert table. I love seeing the unique ways stylists display their treats; Melissa did not disappoint. Using the colorful vintage race car birthday banner as a backdrop, the table was set to impress! Many darling Mario Kart details can be seen atop a checked fabric table runner. The crowning glory of the table was the amazing cake by Over the Top Cakes. The fondant Mario looks like he is ready to drive right off the cake! All of the fondant details are striking. Cupcakes and cookies feature some of Cassius favorite characters! Cake Couture rounded off the dessert table with cake pops that are the spitting image of characters from the Mario Kart game: wow! I love the DIY display cake pop stand made from Styrofoam wrapped in brick paper. Michelle also served ice cream in mason jars.
To achieve the active element goal, an incredible race car driver training academy was created. Even as an adult, this sounds fun! Race cars and bikes were built ahead of time that the kids could use in their training. Although time consuming, Melissa said this was the highlight of the party for her. They created 14 cars and bikes from duct tape, paper mache, spray-paint, cardboard and various Mario Kart logos and numbers on label paper. Talk about DIY champs!
Three separate training stations focused on agility, defensive driving and a grand prix race. As training concluded, each child was presented with an official Mario Kart racers license. Because Melissa is all about the details, she prepped each license ahead of time in Photoshop with pictures she obtained from parents. They looked awesome!
Imaginative play, another of Melissas party requirements, was achieved when guests mingled with costumed charactersMario, Princess Peach and Yoshi. Melissa created a wonderful photo backdrop where racers could pose for pictures with their favorites.
This party had it allcolorful décor, fabulous game inspired eats and treats, fun activities and amazing favors! I bet little racers were not too eager to race out of there! What a celebration!
Planning a Mario Kart Birthday party? Check out these party sources put together by the Spaceships and Laser Beams crew:
- Mario Kart Wii Standard Party Pack for 16 Party Accessory
- Mario Kart Cars Pull – Backs Figure Set
- Mario Kart Wii Empty Favor Boxes (4 count) Party Accessory
- Mario Kart Cake Decorating Kit – Karts, Trophy, 24 Flag Picks/ Cups
- Mario Kart Wii Giant Wall Decals – Standard
- 144 Gold Plastic Coins Tokens – Super Party Favors / Decorations
- 4 Pack Mario Bros Mario Kart Wii Dry Erase Message Board Pen – 4ct
- Popco Super Mario Series 1 Set of 6 Mini Party Figures Mario, Peach, Toad, Luigi, Yoshi Donkey Kong
- New Super Mario Bottle Tumbler
- New Super Mario Bros mini figures bundle
- Pewter Daisy Jelly Lid for Mason Jars 24 Ct
- Paper Party Striped Straws, Yellow/White (24 Count)
- Paper Party Striped Straws, Red/White
- Red Cutlery Set – Birthday and Theme Party Supplies – 24 Count
- Yellow Chevron Party Kit – Cut-Your-Own-Party Decoration Kit
- Bright Yellow Paper Party Favor Bags, 12 Count
- Mario Kart Wii Reversible Cupcake Wrappers
- Mario Kart Wii Cupcake Boxes (4 count) Party Accessory
- Paper Mini 4″ Red and White Striped Popcorn Boxes 24 pc
- Northwest Enterprises Heavy Duty Plastic Table Cover, 54 x 108″, Red
Be sure to check out more car themed birthday party ideas here:
What detail from this Mario Kart birthday party was your favorite?Follow Spaceships and Laser Beams on Pinterest.
Want to take the Mario Kart party theme to the next level? Make sure to draw inspiration from these 39 incredible boy’s race car birthday party ideas!