A 50’s Diner Inspired Boy’s 1st Birthday Party
When a mothers love for her son and everything 1950s collide, you get one amazing boys first birthday party! Liz Bassey, of Liz Bassey Studios, not only styled this incredible 50s diner inspired party, but also designed all of the darling printable items (decorations and invitation) and photographed the event! I adore the retro decor and creative themed treats which created the feel of a real diner. Come join the party for loads of inspiration on celebrating your little ones first birthday party!
- Get a jump start on the planning for your sons 1st birthday! Here are 24 first birthday party themes and ideas.
- This lemonade stand 1st birthday party is a must see!
Guests were invited to this 50s inspired party with absolutely darling invitations. How fun it would be to get invited to Maxs Dinerfeaturing crib side service with a smile! The retro color combination of aqua, red and yellow paired perfectly with vintage style fonts and graphics. And how cute is little Max, presented on the front, wearing his soda jerk hat and outfit?
Liz did an awesome job bringing in a variety of retro 1950s inspired decorations and props. The DIY backdrop stand and black and white checked tablecloth made a striking background. A red and white checked picnic tablecloth covered the food table.
My very favorite element was the amazing laser cut wood diner sign crafted by a neighbor. Not only did it consist of several painted layered elements, it had operational lights. It looked amazing and added so much to the vibe of the event.
Another aspect I loved was Lizs use of classic 45 vinyl records to create a 1st year banner to highlight Maxs first 12 months. What a fun way to pay tribute to her son while staying true to the events overall theme.
An awesome menu was planned. Catered by In and Out Burger, highlights consisted of hamburgers, cheeseburgers and french fries galorehow fun and yummy for guests! The beverage bar was styled to look like an old-fashioned soda bar with vintage soda crates filled with classic Coca-Cola bottles. Cherry, vanilla and chocolate syrups contributed to a real soda shop feel. Guests could concoct their own soda creations or use suggested recipes listed on the menu boards Liz had on display.
Because a 50s diner soda shop party is even better with milkshakes, Liz set up a milkshake station too! Yummy cake batter milkshakes, topped with whipped cream, sprinkles and cherries made a sweet addition to the party. Liz visited her local ice cream shop and scored big with soda jerk hats for all of the guests, complete with her own custom Maxs Diner labels.
Another fabulous addition to the set-up was a retro candy cart built by Lizs father. Liz created candy bowls by melting old records and also filled apothecary jars with vintage penny candies. Red and white striped favor bags were available for guests to fill and refill with nostalgic candy from their childhoods.
Diner inspired tables were decorated with faux ice cream soda centerpieces. They were made using red and white carnations and colored cellophane in soda shop glasses. Check out the striped straw peeking out of the top! I love how Liz chose to display the centerpieces on top of vinyl records she sourced at her local thrift stores. Liz shared that guests were even able to take home some of the records as favors.
Kid-friendly tables were also set up in the middle of the room. Retro car inspired favor boxes were displayed at each setting and included vintage themed party favors like cat eye or wayfarer style sunglasses, blow up guitars and a mini Coca-Cola drinking glass. Can you imagine all of the fun the little guests had rocking out with their new toys?
For entertainment and activities, Liz piped in 1950s era music and had a life-sized cardboard standup of a Wurlitzer Jukebox to set the mood. Guests could bop and dance and sing their hearts out.
In addition, Liz created adorable guest check receipts for party goers to fill out with birthday wishes for Max. What a fun activity that also served as a memorable keepsake from the first birthday celebration! For the youngest guests, Liz established a play zone with toys for keeping busy.
What a memorable milestone birthday for one lucky little boy!
Need some great sources for planning a 1st birthday party? Check out these party sources put together by the Spaceships and Laser Beams crew.
- LITTLE MAN MUSTACHE 1st BIRTHDAY Balloons Decorations Supplies….17 pieces!
- Creative Converting “On The Go” Happy Birthday Jointed Party Banner
- Sweet Little Cupcake Boy 1st Birthday SuperShape Balloon Party Accessory (1 ct)
- Little Man Mustache 1st Birthday Dinner Plates (8)
- Birthday Express – Little Man Mustache 1st Centerpiece
- 11″ Smile Mustache Assorted Latex Balloons – Package of 12
- Dashing Little Man Dinner Plate (8 count)
- MUSTACHE TIGER CIRCUS 1st Birthday party Balloons Decoration Supplies First
- Dress My Cupcake Personalized Message Cupcake Wrappers, Mustache, Happy 1st Birthday, Boy, Set of 12
- Gracelife Silicone Moustache Ice Cube Trays Mustache Mold Chocolate Makers Candy Mold Party
- Oasis Supply 1st Birthday Polka Dot Boy Candles, 2.25-Inch
- Creative Converting Sweet at One Boys Felt Party Hat, Child Size
- Creative Converting Fun at One Happy First Birthday Boy Plastic Table Cover, Rectangle 54 x 108″
- Boy Puppy Dog Bundle for 16
- Creative Converting Ocean Preppy Boy Happy 1St Birthday Luncheon Napkins, 16-Count
- Unique 7″ 1st Birthday Turtle Cake Plates (8 Count), Blue
Gain loads of inspiration from these boys 1st birthday party ideas here:
- Modern-Vintage Boys 1st Birthday Party
- Sweet Baby Elephant Dessert Table
- Little Man Mustache Bash 1st Birthday Party
Plus, don’t miss Little Chef Party Dessert Table…
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week