29 Very Hungry Caterpillar Party Ideas
Today I’m sharing the ultimate roundup of Very Hungry Caterpillar Party Ideas
Here’s everything you with everything you’ll need for your next boys’ Hungry Caterpillar theme birthday party, from invitations and caterpillar balloons to a honeycomb fruit and caterpillar centerpiece. I’ve found some awesome party decorations too, like the Butterfly Party Decorations, Caterpillar Age Sign, and Honeycomb Fruit Skewers.
- This Bug Bash Dessert Table is full of great ideas that wont break your budget.
- Have a boy that loves the outdoors? Check out these Woodland Themed Birthday Party Supplies for a party he will love.
There are also plenty of caterpillar themed food options. Check out the Caterpillar Sandwich, Caterpillar Grapes, and Apple Cheese Caterpillar. I’m in love with the Very Hungry Caterpillar Dessert Tables and the Chalkboard Table. Just about every food in the book is covered from the Cherry Pie and Caterpillar Ice Cream Cone to the Caterpillar Cookies and Caterpillar Cake Pops. Aren’t the Caterpillar Birthday Cakes incredible?!
Any good birthday party has games too, so I’ve included fun activities like the Caterpillar Hats, Egg Carton Caterpillar Craft, Eric Carle Activity, and Big Fruit Shapes. Finally, there are some great favors guests will be hungry to take home: Caterpillar Cereal Favors, Hungry Caterpillar Party Favors, Caterpillar Cocoon Favors, and Caterpillar Party Favor Bags.
1. Party Invitations :: Pottery Barn Kids
Wow your guests with these Very Hungry Caterpillar inspired invitations delivered in a canning jar! Using red and green craft pom-poms and brown pipe cleaners you’ll create your own little hungry caterpillar and tuck in a green cardstock leaf invitation with cute hole punched “bites” out of it.
2. Caterpillar Balloons :: Traci via Catch my Party
You will love this genius idea for creating your very own Very Hungry Caterpillar inspired balloons! Each caterpillar requires one red balloon and 3 green balloons, plus colored cardstock to create the facial features.
3. Honeycomb Fruit :: The House that Lars Built
Grab fruit colored honeycomb tissue paper balls and hearts, plus some green colored crepe paper for crafting some leaves and get ready to make the cutest honeycomb fruit! Hang this adorable fruit all around your party space to look like the fruit straight from the Very Hungry Caterpillar book!
4. Caterpillar Centerpiece :: The Party Dress
Dress up your Very Hungry Caterpillar party with a cute caterpillar centerpiece! Use mini paper lanterns in red and green (or paint paper lanterns red and green) attached to sucker sticks to create the caterpillar. Display your cute creation from a container of grassy plants.
5. Butterfly Party Decoration :: Papalotes Etsy shop
You can create your own butterfly party decorations using paper! Use several different colors to create beautiful wings and details.
6. Caterpillar Balloon :: Sunitha via Apartment Therapy
Bring the theme of your Very Hungry Caterpillar party to the forefront of guests’ minds with cute caterpillar inspired balloons! Using a red balloon to recreate the head only, add paper pieced facial features cut from cardstock or construction paper.
7. Caterpillar Age Sign :: Crafts by Courtney
Craft up a wood age sign inspired by the Very Hungry Caterpillar. Whether your birthday child is one or five, paint the first letter read to represent the caterpillar’s head and the remaining letters green to represent the body. Add chenille stem antennae for a completed caterpillar look.
8. Caterpillar Sandwich :: Mini Mocha
Instead of serving up plain old sandwiches, use a circle cookie cutter to create round ham and cheese sandwiches. Turn dozens of sandwiches on their edges and line them up to create a caterpillar, complete with an edible head made from a tomato, oval cheese slices and basil!
9. Caterpillar Sandwich :: Creekside Learning
If you need something impressive for your Very Hungry Caterpillar party food table, recreate this caterpillar sandwich. Simply layer individual sandwiches in a curvy pattern across your table adding carrot stick legs and olive eyes.
10. Caterpillar Grapes :: Craftaholics Anonymous
Transform red and green grapes into caterpillars reminiscent of the Very Hungry Caterpillar book! Simply add a red grape, followed by green grapes on a skewer to create this edible caterpillar.
11. Apple Cheese Caterpillar :: Cute Food for Kids
Kids at your Very Hungry Caterpillar party will go crazy for this apple cheese caterpillar. He’s made from Babybel cheese, a green apple, piece of cheese slice and pieces of fruit leather.
12. Very Hungry Caterpillar Dessert Table :: Kara’s Party Ideas
Guests will enjoy inching their way through every detail of this Very Hungry Caterpillar dessert table. It features the cutest caterpillar cupcake cake and some fun healthy book inspired offerings like cheese, strawberries, apples, pears and watermelon too!
13. Chalkboard Table :: All the Frills
Using a chalkboard table to display your Very Hungry Caterpillar refreshments is brilliant! Add text and picture snippets from the story in chalk above and below the various snacks and treats displayed.
14. Honeycomb Fruit Skewers :: A Subtle Revelry
You can whip out a bunch of these honeycomb fruit skewers in no time! You’ll need to cut small circles from honeycomb paper to create apples and oranges and an oval shape for the pineapple. Add small green paper leaves and glue your cute honeycomb fruit to a skewer!
15. Caterpillar Dessert Table :: Project Nursery
If you’re itching to do more than just a cake for your party, this Very Hungry Caterpillar inspired dessert table is full of inspiration. The tissue paper fan caterpillar sets the stage for a display of adorable desserts, including apple cupcakes, fruit shaped candy and cookies, to name a few.
16. Caterpillar Birthday Cake :: Hostess with the Mostess, Submitted by Lily Chic Events
One way to approach a Very Hungry Caterpillar birthday cake is to recreate the star of the book—the caterpillar—out of fondant! This cake includes awesome fondant fruit embellishments and the cutest fondant caterpillar that seems to have inched his way straight out of the pages of the book!
This caterpillar birthday cake was surely the star of the Very Hungry Caterpillar inspired dessert table! Two tiers of fondant cuteness are accented with an adorable 3-D caterpillar topper and so many details that kids will recognize from the beloved story.
18. Cherry Pie :: Learn with Play at Home
A Very Hungry Caterpillar party calls for one slice of cherry pie! Slice mini cherry pies in half for an easy way to serve up pie!
19. Caterpillar Ice Cream Cone :: How Does She
If you thought kids couldn’t love ice cream any more than they already do, guess again! Layering scoops of red and green ice cream and adding candy eyes and antennae is pure genius!
20. Caterpillar Cookies :: Polkadots and Puppies
These caterpillar cookies almost look like they crawled right out of the Very Hungry Caterpillar book. Doesn’t the frosting appear to be painted on for that perfect unique look?
21 Caterpillar Cake Pops :: Pottery Barn Kids via Be Different Act Normal
Need a cute themed dessert to serve up at your Very Hungry Caterpillar party? How about creating a caterpillar from red and green cake pops? A few edible candy and sprinkle embellishments later, and you are set!
22. Caterpillar Hats :: Toddler Approved
Pre-cut all of the paper pieces for these caterpillar hats for an easy craft that even toddlers can enjoy gluing together at a Very Hungry Caterpillar party! Then let guests wear their hats while they listen to the story.
23. Egg Carton Caterpillar Craft :: Isle Tri Via Dollar Store Mom
You’ll only need 3 items for this egg carton caterpillar craft: egg cartons, paint and pipe cleaners. Even better, this project is so simple, little ones can do it too!
24. Eric Carle Activity :: ABC and 123
Add this cute Eric Carle activity to your Very Hungry Caterpillar party! Guests will need red and green paper strips to create links for the caterpillar’s body and a few scraps of orange and brown to add facial features. A big green paper leaf can be decorated for their caterpillar to sit on complete with paper punched holes from their hungry caterpillar.
25. Big Fruit Shapes :: A Happy Wanderer
Party goers will love re-enacting the story of the Very Hungry Caterpillar using these big fruit shapes. Recycled cardboard boxes and paint are used to make these awesome props!
26. Caterpillar Cereal Favors :: One Charming Party
Creating these caterpillar cereal favors is easing using a free apple printable. After printing, cut out the apple, punch a hole and make a caterpillar/worm for the hole using a green pipe cleaner and circle shaped cereal (such as Apple Jacks).
27. Hungry Caterpillar Party Favors :: A Grande Life
Pay a visit to your local dollar store and hunt for bug catchers! It turns out they make darling Very Hungry Caterpillar party favors when dressed up with a cute thank you label and filled with gummy worms.
28. Caterpillar Cocoon Favors :: Handicraftiness
Prepare yourself for the coolest caterpillar cocoon party favors made using balloons and a papier-mache technique! While these are definitely time consuming, imagine the look on your guests’ faces seeing the finished favors hanging from tree branches for them to pluck prior to departure!
29. Caterpillar Party Favor Bags :: Lady’s Little Loves
Favor bags for a Very Hungry Caterpillar party don’t have to be complicated to be cute! Grab a white lunch sack and punch out circles with a craft punch or die cut machine to replicate the famed caterpillar. A few dabs of adhesive and you’ve got some cute caterpillar party favor bags!
Check out these great Very Hungry Caterpillar themed party supplies gathered by the team at Spaceships and Laser Beams.
(Amazon Affiliate Links)
- Caterpillar Themed Party Fans
- Very Hungry Caterpillar Cake Decorating Kit
- Palm Leaf Serving Tray
- Caterpillar Cookie Cutter
- Very Hungry Caterpillar Cut Outs
- Very Hungry Caterpillar Bean Bag Toy
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Party Supplies
- Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday Bubbles
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Party Plates
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Napkins
- Hungry Caterpillar Thank You Cards
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Treat Bags
- Very Hungry Caterpillar Hanging Swirls
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Tablecover
- Hungry Caterpillar Garland
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Plastic Party Cups
- Hungry Caterpillar Cake Decorating Set
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Party Cups
- The World of Eric Carle Birthday Banner
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Banner
- Very Hungry Caterpillar Cupcake Kit
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Invitations
For more bug themed birthday party inspiration check out these great ideas…
Plus, check out A Boy’s Very Hungry Catepillar 2nd Birthday Party…