10 Cinco de Mayo Party Ideas
Usually we’re up for any reason to party at our house. But with all the goofy schedule changes that come with moving, we just haven’t made as much time for parties. Isn’t that sad? Cinco de Mayo is on the horizon so I decided that was a good day to celebrate—not a big deal fiesta this year, but a fun time family party. How to make that happen? Remember to make it colorful. Bring in gorgeous bursts of color that are reflective of the Mexican culture. Showcase them against a white backdrop so it adds modern flare.
Here are a few of my tips to create a super fun Cinco de Mayo party:
- Rich fabrics can be used as tablecloths or act as a backdrop to a food buffet.
- Fruit is abundant in Mexico’s open air markets. Replicate the bounty on a small scale by including colorful displays of fruit.
- Choose serving trays that mimic the gorgeous patterns found in Spanish tile.
- There are 42 species of the Dahlia, Mexico’s national flower. They come in almost every hue—breathtaking! Mix a display of fresh flowers with small cacti to add shape and texture.
- Give female guests flowers to tuck behind their ears.
- Hang Papel Picado or giant tissue paper flowers for pops of color.
- Include music in the celebration. There’s a great diversity of authentic sounds. Familiar choices include guitar and mariachi style ballads.
- A twist on the frozen margarita is a frozen margarita popsicle. A non-alcoholic version includes lemonade, limeade, orange (or mango) juice, carbonated water (or soda).
- Spicy chocolate brownies make a sweet dessert.
- Hang white lights so your place sparkles when the sun goes down. You’ll be having such a good time you’ll have to extend your party into the evening!
No matter how great the décor and music, you don’t have a party if you don’t have good food. Make it easy on yourself and feed the crowd convenient Jose’ Ole’® snacks. Pop them in the oven or microwave and you’re ready for a fiesta!
Jose’ Ole’ has authentic Mexican flavor, made with protein-packed, real ingredients. For our family party, we made a small snack station with Jose’ Ole’ Chicken & Cheese Taquitos and Beef & Cheese Mini Tacos—delicious! I added a few bowls with chips, guacamole, sour cream and salsa. It was so satisfying to add a little fun to everyone’s day and Jose’ made it easy!
Here’s a nudge to host your own Cinco de Mayo party: you can download a $1 coupon at joseole.com/promos (available to first 25,000 printers). Ole!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Jose Ole. The opinions and text are all mine.