Easy Football Cake
This Easy Football Cake is the perfect addition to your game day menu! Moist Chocolate Cake topped with the Best Chocolate Buttercream EVER makes for the perfect plate of sugar to root on your favorite team with!
- Here’s an easy version of a football field cake.
- Find fan-pleasing ideas at this super cool football party!
With Super Bowl just days away, we’re all planning our menus and inviting people over for the
commercials game. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that game day food is more than just meat, cheese, and chips; you gotta have dessert too! I completely understand how crazy things can get when you’re throwing a party and trying to get everything picked up and made. That’s why this cake is perfect, because it’s just so easy and takes so little time!
Easy Football Cake
Prep time:1 hour 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour 45 mins
Serves: 2-9 in cakes
- 1 Box Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 3.9 oz. Package Jell-O Instant Chocolate Pudding
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ¾ cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 1½ cup Mini Chocolate Chips
Get the Chocolate Buttercream recipe here.
White Icing or frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease cake pan(s).
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer and beat until combined.
- Evenly distribute cake batter between the pans.
- Refer to cake box for baking times.
- Two 9 in. pans should be for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes clean.
- Remove from oven and move pan to cooling racks to cool.
- Once pans are cool enough to touch, gently flip the cakes out and let them cool completely.
- Prepare chocolate buttercream recipe.
- Cut a 2 in wide strip from the center of the cake(s) and push the two ends together as shown in the photos below.
- On your serving dish, set the cake on two pieces of wax or parchment paper so that the line of the cake is perpendicular with the line where the paper meet.
- Frost cake(s).
- Use a flat ribbon tip to draw on football stitching.
Notes: You can use my recipe above (which you should) or you can simply use a box cake mix and your own homemade or store bought chocolate frosting. It’s really the method that makes this cake so EASY! You can make any size you want, a huge 14 in round cake, a bunch of mini 4 in round cakes, or do what I did and make two 9 in round cakes! See! How easy was that! it really only takes about 15 minutes to make this cake as most of the time is for cooking and cooling. So who’s excited for the game? Being from Maine, it’s pretty crazy up here in anticipation of Sunday’s face off. Personally, I’m in it for the commercials… oh how those Clydesdales get me every time, am I right? Anyways, if you’re looking for more great game day recipes take a look around or check out these Football Stadium Cookies!
Check out more fun super ideas perfect for game day.
- 12 Healthy Super Bowl Party Food Ideas
- Football Party Food Ideas: #QuesoForAll
- 25 Football Party Food Ideas
Plus, check out 24 Super Bowl Party Food Ideas…