Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Sea Salt Caramel Buttercream
These Dark Seas Cupcakes are dark chocolate cupcakes topped with a silky sea salt caramel buttercream and are absolutely sinful.The pairing of dark chocolate and salted caramel seems to have exploded in the last year, and for good reason. In the area of Maine that I live, we call this flavor combo Dark Seas… pretty fitting don’t you think? I mean bold dark chocolate and bright sea salt with a hint of creamy caramel… you just can’t go wrong. This name and flavor actually became popular by a local whoopie pie shop, but I thought, hey, why can’t it work for a cupcake? After all, that’s what I do best!
- Looking for other amazing chocolate ideas? Here are some desserts you must make right now.
- Want an option for kids? Check out these adorable monster marshmallow cupcakes.
The moist chocolate cupcakes and decadent salted caramel frosting are an absolutely perfect pair. You can easily make mini cupcakes like I did, which yields 96 and is great if you’re throwing a party and want some quick finger desserts! Plus, everything is cuter when it’s mini and you can eat more without feeling bad! I think that makes these cupcakes an all around WIN! Stop on over for more delicious cupcakes recipes and sign up for my newsletter to have more great recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 Box Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 3.5 oz. Package Instant Jell-O Chocolate Fudge Pudding (dry)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ¾ cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) Unsalted Butter (softened to room temp)
- 4 cups Confectioners’ Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Caramel Sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 tsp salt Coarse Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line regular or mini cupcake pan.
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer and beat until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ½ ¾ full.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes for regular cupcakes or 10 minutes for mini ones or until toothpick comes clean.
- Remove from oven and transfer cupcakes to cooling racks to finish cooling.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter with a paddle attachment.
- Scrape down sides and add confectioners sugar a cup at a time, mixing between cups and scraping down.
- Once all of the sugar is added, beat on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract, and the 1/4 tsp of salt and beat in low until full incorporated.
- Keep mixer going on low speed while slowly adding in the heavy cream and caramel sauce.
- Once heavy cream is fully incorporated, turn off and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Turn mixer on medium-high speed and beat for 3 minutes until buttercream is light and fluffy.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with a sprinkle of coarse sea salt.
Want to make your own dark chocolate cupcakes? Check out these sources gathered by the team at Spaceships and Laser Beams to create your own delicious treat.
- Duncan Hines Classic Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- Jell-O Instant Pudding and Pie Filling, Chocolate Fudge
- Morton Fine Mediterranean Sea Salt
- C&H Pure Cane Sugar CONFECTIONERS POWDERED
- McCormick Pure Vanilla
- Ghirardelli Caramel Flavored Sauce
These cupcake recipe ideas will satisfy your sweet tooth.
Want more cupcake recipes? Check out these 21 Genius Cupcake Recipes.
What is your favorite cupcake recipe idea?Follow Spaceships and Laser Beams on Pinterest.
Never Miss Out on the Best Recipes & Crafts
Subscribe and get them delivered right to your email each week